Ontario emission test

vash169

On a 3 inch system with no primary cat, and a brand shiny new 3' high-flow cat in the secondary position, my HC at 2500 and at idle was about 10, and the CO% was around 0 to 0.05 if I recall. I couldn't believe how low the number was. With no cats I was failing at idle only, the HC at idle was about 210-240. No amount of cheating could lower that, so I had to go the legit route with a cat.

crazy_russian

That's way better than mine. I wonder if that's because of the new cat. Is your O2 sensor relatively new too?

I wonder if it's possible to improve idle HC a little by making it idle faster. Your numbers and mine both show that HC at 2500 is better than at 1000. I think the machine accepts anything under 1500rpm as an acceptable idle range, so raising idle to say 1400 might improve HC. What do you think?

Oh and wish me luck on the emissions test tomorrow. Hope she passes.

vash169

Yeah it was brand new when I got the test. Got it welded in, went for a rip on the highway, then went straight to the tester. I think I did have a new O2 sensor at the time too, it was a cheapo universal one that I got because I suspected mine was fouled by seafoam.

crazy_russian

IT PASSED! Having no front cat I did not take any chances and kept the car running at 2000rpm for the 10minute I had to wait. Result HC: 54 idle, 40 at 2500rpm. Note that it's almost half the HC than two years ago with both cats. Keeping the cat hot on cold winter days makes a LOT of difference.