What did you pay to import?

strathcona93

The local guy who imports JDM vehicles says it costs $6500 to $8000 to buy, ship etc an ST205. Yet a friend who imported a skyline GT-R a couple years ago on his own says he could help me import an ST205 for $3000 all inclusive. Also an ST205 sold on craigslist a month ago for somewhere between $5000 to $4500. These prices are all over the map.

So is the local guy charging me massive brokerage fees, is the ST205 my friend would help me import going to be in wretched shape, or are both these prices off? What have your experiences been? I'd be landing the car in Vancouver via Ro-Ro.

Corey

Mine was 8000$ all in. The car was 5900. This was through jspec imports based in Australia.

And this was 4.5 years ago when the exchange rate was better.

strathcona93

Corey Darling":1knc0wge said:
Mine was 8000$ all in. The car was 5900.

Really? The local import guy said $1500 to $4000 for the car and $4000 for brokerage and shipping. Your brokerage fees sound more realistic

Corey

1500 for a GTFour ? Must be a steal of a deal at an Auction....

I've noticed that the cost of GT-Fours have increased a great deal on Jspec, even to Australia.

It's tough to find one for even 8000$ landed, that isn't an Auction vehicle.

I would ask to see the inspection report.

An "R" Grade is the lowest grade. Mine was a 3.5/C if I recall. A top grade is 5/A

Here is an example of a 205 up for auction. Its starting bid is only 360$ canadian

http://www.j-spec.com.au/auction/1994-T ... 04721.html

So it's certainly possible to get a good deal via an auction if no-one else hikes the cost up.

Edit:

here is a Dealer car with an Australian Landed cost estimate of 11,000$ Aus

http://www.j-spec.com.au/dealer/1996-To ... 28797.html

magnum

Generally it's about $3500-$4200 getting the car here. That does not include the price of the car. It's just shipping and costs of clearing customs.

Corey

I just dug out my original invoice to check the costs.

Here is what I paid 4 years ago.
Used Vehicle (FOB) 1 350,000
- Car Price
‐Domestic Transportation
- Custom formality in Japan
- Handling Charge

J-Spec Imports fee ($1000 CAD @ 100 yen) 100,000
Ocean freight (Japan to Canada) 95,277

Total: 545,277 Yen

I then paid another 1054$ Canadian for customs/brokerage at the port in Vancouver.

Plus registration fee with ICBC. That was a few hundred if I recall.

Mr.William

Your best bet is always to get a Japanese vehicle from auction over there. You get the best prices, get non biased opinion of it, and availability is always the best. Have a look at real cars selling in auction and for what here http://auc.jdmconnection.ca/

Beyond car costs in auction here is a rough breakdown on the export / import process.

60,000 Yen for export fees which include Japanese customs, translation of documents, de-registrations, etc.
10,000 Yen for auction house fees (if bought in auction of course)
20,000 Yen for shipping to port in Japan from the auction house
$1200.00 Cad for a importers fee if your using one
$950.00 Cad for shipping to Canada port in Vancouver, roughly
$150.00 Cad for shipping insurance ( optional, but highly recommended )
$900.00 at Canada customs for gst ( 5% ),air conditioning excise tax, duty( 6.1% ), port charges, customs papers, customs clearance, etc. ( this will depend on the value of the vehicle )

You also have to calculate inland shipping from Vancouver if needed and registration costs.

Usually when your dealing with an importer, you just have to talk about the end number and they'll figure everything out for you.