ST185 no boost, runs fine

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Re: ST185 no boost, runs fine

Postby gtapexmickey » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:22 pm

So smoke test found leaks from the 2 larger vacuum hoses of the pipe from the air box to the turbo, as well as a big split where that pipe connects to the turbo itself. Some smaller smoke leaks came through the spark plug tubes (guess I need a valve cover gasket), very small smoke coming from the pin for the wastegate flapper, and a small hole in the exhaust pipe near the rear axle.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
gtapexmickey
Newbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Re: ST185 no boost, runs fine

Postby alltracman78 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:17 am

gtapexmickey wrote:So smoke test found leaks from the 2 larger vacuum hoses of the pipe from the air box to the turbo, as well as a big split where that pipe connects to the turbo itself. Some smaller smoke leaks came through the spark plug tubes (guess I need a valve cover gasket), very small smoke coming from the pin for the wastegate flapper, and a small hole in the exhaust pipe near the rear axle.



You have a big split in the turbo pipe and the engine runs fine?

Dude, there's a whole lot missing here.......
alltracman78
GTFour God
 
Posts: 4889
Images: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:04 am
Location: Anywhere But There

Re: ST185 no boost, runs fine

Postby gtapexmickey » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:02 am

alltracman78 wrote:
gtapexmickey wrote:So smoke test found leaks from the 2 larger vacuum hoses of the pipe from the air box to the turbo, as well as a big split where that pipe connects to the turbo itself. Some smaller smoke leaks came through the spark plug tubes (guess I need a valve cover gasket), very small smoke coming from the pin for the wastegate flapper, and a small hole in the exhaust pipe near the rear axle.



You have a big split in the turbo pipe and the engine runs fine?

Dude, there's a whole lot missing here.......


The intake duct from the air box to the turbo. So pre turbo
gtapexmickey
Newbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Re: ST185 no boost, runs fine

Postby 93celicaconv » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:27 am

gtapexmickey wrote:The intake duct from the air box to the turbo. So pre turbo

Yes, but all after the AFM (meaning you are taking in air that is not being measured by the AFM). That will cause some problems with the engine running too lean. You should seal everything up that you now found (interesting that you didn't find/see this the first time you checked for leaks). No point in trying to diagnose boost problems with that kind of intake air leaks you have right now.
93celicaconv
Club Member
 
Posts: 887
Images: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:08 am

Re: ST185 no boost, runs fine

Postby gtapexmickey » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:06 pm

93celicaconv wrote:
gtapexmickey wrote:The intake duct from the air box to the turbo. So pre turbo

Yes, but all after the AFM (meaning you are taking in air that is not being measured by the AFM). That will cause some problems with the engine running too lean. You should seal everything up that you now found (interesting that you didn't find/see this the first time you checked for leaks). No point in trying to diagnose boost problems with that kind of intake air leaks you have right now.


Went gum tape daddy til the new one gets here, no more leak, still no boost
gtapexmickey
Newbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Re: ST185 no boost, runs fine

Postby Gert » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:51 am

I am lost here. You must be missing something. It can't be that everything is fine and there is no boost at all.That is impossible!
Gert
Club Member
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:53 am

Re: ST185 no boost, runs fine

Postby alltracman78 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:28 pm

Exactly.

Something big (or more than one) isn't adding up.

Impossible to help over the internet with that.
alltracman78
GTFour God
 
Posts: 4889
Images: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:04 am
Location: Anywhere But There

Previous

Return to Performance and Power

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron