Newbie Turbo upgrade questions

IS300guy

Sooooo.....you could probobly tell me to search but please dont. :? I might be getting one of your members cars. From what i understand it is in great condition pretty much stock with low miles. Ive done some research on these cars in there stock form....they arent incredibly fast. I want to fix this. I dont need a 12 second car by any means, its going to be my daily driver for four years. But i want to know everything i would need to tweak the boost a little so its a respectively fast car as a turbo should be. So i want it faster...but not compromising reliability if you get my drift. This will be my first turbo car so i want my memories to be good ...not of me bludgeoning the car with an axe. :shoots: I assume toyota was smart enough to overbuild this engine a little.....tranny too...i hope. :shrug:

SuperWhite92

IS300guy":132mqspg said:
I assume toyota was smart enough to overbuild this engine a little.....tranny too...i hope. :shrug:

I Think this has got to be my favorite quote ever.

IMHO, Toyota Overbuilt this engine comparably to how they overbuilt the 2JZ. Tranny too. Only real problem is synchro, and that is by no means a bigger problem than in any other car from the era.

IS300guy

hehe well i kinda only said that to get some attention to the post :D I was kinda figuring it was overbuilt...but i got a roomate with a 400rwhp IS300 that tries to give me shit for buying anything other than a 2JZ. So just trying to get the facts.

Griffin

The alltrac is an awsome car - but I feel I must warn you - if you are not mechanically inclined then you better make a decent wage. The price to get into an alltrac isn't that high, but once you start getting into modifying them they can get expensive very fast. Plus unless the previous owner is a hardcore enthusiast that has been through the car and completely replaced everything like some of us have you will probably have to deal with a steady stream of small annoying repairs, and some occasional larger more expensive repairs.

IS300guy

Well its SLC Punk if you all know him......it seems from his list that he has indeed gone through and done all the repairs to the car. Heres what he sent me.....

I replaced every coolant hose I could find. I also replaced the valve cover gasket, added new spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and changed all of the fluids.

The turbo oil seal was leaking, so it was blowing gray smoke out of the tail pipe. I sent the turbo to Performance Techniques (www.turbocharged.com) to be rebuilt. The total was $500 for a complete rebuild and a impeller upgrade to a 46 trim.

The car ran very well, and the mileage was creeping up toward 60,000 miles. I decided to take it in to the dealership to get the timing belt changed. I had a friend that is a top Toyota tech work on it and he discovered that the head gasket had an external leak.

I decided that since he was going to take the motor out, I would replace a few things to prevent any further repairs down the road. I had them install ARP head studs, completely rebuild the head, new cam seals, front and rear main seals, new power steering pump (leaking), new timing belt and drive belts, new water pump, and a new stage II clutch. The total damage was over $3,000, but the car has been running top notch ever since!

I built a manual boost controller. I made a dual ball and spring controller out of parts bought from Home Depot. I have never had any problems with boost creep or spikes. As far as I am concerned, it is as reliable as the $100+ controlers! I have the boost at a conservative 10.5 psi, it will go up to 12 psi before hitting the fuel cut. There are a few posts on alltrac.net on how to bypass the fuel cut, but I never wanted to boost it more than what I have it set at.

tim

The fact that both the HG and the turbo oil seals were shot by 60k could be a bit of a red flag and it's definitely not typical of ST185s. It looks like the work done to correct the problem was good, but it may suggest that the car took a good beating in its first 60k of life.

Tim