bad turbo??

A

Anonymous

hi,
I was wondering how i could tell if the turbo was blown without taking it off the car. I just got my ST185 and finally got it running (needs an ISC valve i think). anyway when it runs there was a ton of blueish smoke and it had next to no power but would build boost. after running it for a while it was smoking less, but then it started with the white smoke. i checked the anti-freeze and it was full, and no milkshake in the oil either... thanks for any help

seth

mototebok

Check for free rotation and shaft play of the turbo.

Check for ECU codes? I wouldn't be surprised if it says oxygen sensor.

I would suggest a compression test. I hate to say it but blue smoke, then white could be a blown HG. :cry:

Hopefully it's just an oxygen sensor.

turbo4wd

Blue smoke is oil.. possible that your rings are bad, or valve seals.. a compression test and leakdown test would help.. If the coolant is ok, and the oil is clean then you probably dont have a head gasket to worry about..

Shaggz00

I'm definetly willing to bet its the turbo, it seems that every time somebody buys an all trac, the turbo is bad..hmmm...I wonder why?
Kinda expensive to rebuild, but a great opportunity to upgrade!
Like the guys said, take off the intake piping, and check the shaft for excessive horizontal/veritcal play(basically grab the end of the shaft and wiggle it around..you should have very little wiggling if any at all). haha, I love technical terms :lol: . also check to make sure it spins freely.

SuperWhite92

Is there oil marks from the compressor side of the turbo? That's how i knew my turbo was bad. Anyways, if you were ever planning on upgrading the turbo, there is no better a time. I (unlike some other people) really liked Performance Techniques. They did a fantastic job on my turbo, and didn't charge me that much. $475 plus $25 shipping each way (UPS Ground insured at $900). Only downside is that the car was out of comission for almost 3 weeks. Be sure to tell them you are from the alltrac site though, otherwise you will be paying $675 for the same services.

A

Anonymous

sorry, i forgot to mention that i did a compression test (160 - 165 psi on all four). also there was a ton of oil in the intercooler and other intake pipes after the compressor.... im pretty sure its the turbo, but id just like to make sure so im not pulling it off again to fix the problem later. i'll try to check the shaft-play, somehow i forgot to check while i could get to it lol thanks guys

seth

A

Anonymous

well, i finally got around to pulling the turbo off. I still havent done a leak down test to make sure the headgasket is alright but im fairly certain the turbo's seals were the smoking problem as it feels like there is a decent amount of shaftplay. i was wondering if anyone knew a reputable place that would rebuild it or where i can buy a new one, also where i can get an ISC valve, the local 'yota dealer quoted me $200 for that! oh yea, any ideas why coolant would be brown but not have the sheen of oil on it?!