GM MAS?

mtbgael

I helped my buddy put a FMIC kit on his DSM recently, and at the same time he put on a very open, free flowing GM mass airflow sensor. As in, it only had wires running through it instead of a flapper door. Can that be made to work with our stock ECU, or does anyone sell a way to do it with our car? That flapper can't be efficient, but I doubt I'll go stand-alone, at least for a damn good while.

Gary

This was discussed in the old board. I remembered that someone tried to have a "signal converter" built. The converter will allow us to use "hot wire" type MAF instead of flapper door (VAM, Vane Air Meter). With this, you can vent BOV to the atmosphere without worrying that the car will run rich or stall. I guess, it didn't get made. :shrug:

furpo

personally i think it is a waste of time changing the afm because the accepted limit of about 330 hp is very close to the limit of the stock injectors. when the stock injectors need to be upgraded so does the ecu so you can bin the afm at this point (330 hp) instead of replacing it with a bigger one. the only reason you would keep the ecu is if you would reather have an after market ecu that needs one because you believe this system is more accurate than a map based system.

roger

MrWOT

furpo":ju86hizy said:
personally i think it is a waste of time changing the afm because the accepted limit of about 330 hp is very close to the limit of the stock injectors. when the stock injectors need to be upgraded so does the ecu so you can bin the afm at this point (330 hp) instead of replacing it with a bigger one. the only reason you would keep the ecu is if you would reather have an after market ecu that needs one because you believe this system is more accurate than a map based system.

roger

Anything you can do to reduce turbulance and restriction into the turbo will pay dividends in reduced charge temperature, spool up time, and peak flow. That's the real advantage of the MAF over the VAM. As for accuracy, I'd prefer a MAF just because it can compensate for altitude without a Baro sensor, but the VAM does a fine job of giving accurate airflow, unless the springs wear, which does happen over time. Then again MAF sensors have their pitfalls too :( get any kind of contaminant (oil, too much dirt etc) on the wire and it will throw the readings way off, most systems have an 'afterburn' built it when at vehicle shut off the wire will be superheated to around 1800 degrees to get rid of contaminants, but don't know if a converted system could retain the same capability or not... :shrug: