Upgrading A heat exchanger

jotarokun

88st165":1d7sd4tc said:
chris_dittrick":1d7sd4tc said:
I'm keeping my fogs, fwiw

yeah i also wish i had.... someday i will figure out a configuration so i can have them back again.

I agree totally - but I would like to see how some of you folks have mounted the brackets for the 'stang Cobra HE. Pix would be mighty helpful.

Toxygene

Sleeka_89":3jeteyh9 said:
just curious, how much water does the stock system hold vs the amount of water in this upgraded unit? There would be a bit of weight?
FMIC FTW :D

People always talk about the weight of the Water to Air cooling system, but really if you think about it. It doesn't really matter compared to using a front mount, the associated aluminium tubing, clamps, hose couplers and brackets. The heat exchanger is the heaviest part I guess but they are usually smaller than a front mount intercooler and although it is filled with water, it's usually the only part that really has any considerable weight as the plumbing for one is neglible.

Gary

I agree. Yes, wta setup is heavier but it's not like it is 50 lbs heavier. But I think the main advantage of a/a fmic is the simplicity and fewer parts to break down.

Toxygene

I can see your point. I'm thinking the only thing to break down depending on the setup would be the water pump. If you find yourself using the Toyota Water to Air intercooler I guess some of the sensor's can go bad after a while and if you use a fan but not really that much more to it.

I've always looked at it like this. Considering that I'm going to find myself stuck in traffic eventually with my Alltrac, and so long as I use fans on my heat exchanger, I'd rather have the slightly more complex Water to Air intercooler and have a little bit more safety for the motor than going with an Air to Air and having my intake temperatures rise. In addition, I like keeping the tubing short from the turbo to the intake manifold.

At least the way I've weighed the pros and cons I like the water to air option better than the air to air.

88st165

alittle late here but here are the pics on how i mounted my h/e:

S5000329.jpg

S5000328.jpg

saki10man

nice job.....maybe something I would want to do in the future for better effiency. How much did the HE run you on ebay?

CMS-GT4

I need to get mine mounted better after I am done with the car, currently its zip-tied. I am going to make a pump bracket as well.

img3751lv2.jpg

grip addict

right now i'm planning on using the metal strips with holes in them you use to strap in water heaters... whenever i get a cs bumper i'll actually get some bracket action going on...

88st165

im currently trying to work on a way to modify the brackets i made to hold the fogs as well as hold the h/e... i miss my fogs :cry:

5speedGT4

Here is how i did it, note that there is no a/c condenser on the car anymore so it is possible to sit back right infront of the Radiator. The coolant outlets on the heatexchanger fit perfectly with the two holes on either side of the radiator with a little modification. This is a Lightning performance heat exchanger (upgrade for the ford lightning).

im000887td0.jpg

Also a small notch needed to be taken out of the hood latch support brace, however it fits great behind it, and you can keep the stock front grill and foglights! This setup works great as well combined with a Centripuppy pump and ST205 intercooler. Better than a FMIC in my opinion...hehe

Awesome-Trac

I know this is a pretty old thread and prefer not starting a new but I recently picked up a Mustang GT500 heat exchanger to use on my ST165 and was wondering what you guys did to make your aftermarket heat exchangers to work with such extremely small amount of space to work with