How can I tell if my turbo is bad? (off the car)

jimlau

As the subject implies, my turbo is off the car, as my engine is in the process of a rebuild. How can I tell if my turbo was damaged in the short time (maybe 3-8 seconds) of possible oil starvation frmo when my engine oil filter gasket gave out and dumped all the engine oil on the floor of the garage. Since the bearing isn't floating in oil now, i will of course not spin freely. Should I just pour oil into the oil lines and try to spin it then? I've heard to use phosphorus-free brake cleaner, but I'm not sure if this was to test the shaft spinning or to clean the bearing. How can I ensure that my turbo bearing is free of any dust and junk without damaging the bearing? Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary

Even without oil, the blade should spin freely (no drag)
You can also check the shaft play.
Axial play 0.13 mm (0.0051 inch) or less, measured at the compressor side.
Radial play 0.18 mm (0.0071 inch) or less, measured at the center of the shaft, through the oil outlet hole.

jimlau

Gary":lxl1uxms said:
Even without oil, the blade should spin freely (no drag)
You can also check the shaft play.
Axial play 0.13 mm (0.0051 inch) or less, measured at the compressor side.
Radial play 0.18 mm (0.0071 inch) or less, measured at the center of the shaft, through the oil outlet hole.

Hmm, well it does not spin freely. I guess I will try putting some oil through the oil pasages, and see if that frees it up .. otherwise it seems like I'd be waiting for a turbo rebuild or replacement. Does anyone have any other options to try?

Thanks.