side intake manifold

burden

hey all, don't own an alltrac but i'm gathering the parts for 'the swap'. because i'm going to be running the cs hood i'm going fmic right away. i don't personally like the way the intake pipe on most swaps come straight down from the tb and over the exhaust manifold (performance reasons) and i don't want to wrap any pipes over to the passenger side of the engine bay because again i'm getting them close to the exhaust manifold and adding pipe length. so i'm going with a side-entry intake manifold. this leads to what i don't know much about: 1. because the manifold houses a 70mm throttle body do i need to upgrade the mass airflow sensor? also, will the stock ecu be able to compensate no problem for the increase in airflow and be able to feed more fuel accordingly? 2. is clocking the turbo with this setup going to be necessary or is that only on a need-be basis for fitting of the pipes? thanks in advance-

silverarrow

Clocking the turbo only happens if you want to have a different route of pipings made, does not concern if you have a side fed intake mani or not. About using a side fed intake mani though...try asking Kevin (92alltracturbo) about it. He may have some information for you!

ChrisD

burden":3qe1lodq said:
hey all, don't own an alltrac but i'm gathering the parts for 'the swap'. because i'm going to be running the cs hood i'm going fmic right away. i don't personally like the way the intake pipe on most swaps come straight down from the tb and over the exhaust manifold (performance reasons) and i don't want to wrap any pipes over to the passenger side of the engine bay because again i'm getting them close to the exhaust manifold and adding pipe length. so i'm going with a side-entry intake manifold. this leads to what i don't know much about: 1. because the manifold houses a 70mm throttle body do i need to upgrade the mass airflow sensor? also, will the stock ecu be able to compensate no problem for the increase in airflow and be able to feed more fuel accordingly? 2. is clocking the turbo with this setup going to be necessary or is that only on a need-be basis for fitting of the pipes? thanks in advance-

I believe the RMR intake manifold uses the stock throttle body. The chrisk requires you to upgrade. RMR: http://www.rossmachineracing.com/ . Regardless, you shouldn't need to upgrade the AFM. What are your power goals? Might be better to use a 3SGE manifold if you dont want much more power than stock. If you want more, then it is a good upgrade for >250whp.

The stock ECU should be able to compensate up to a point. More airflow, just like increasing boost in one sense. If you are under 250whp the stock ECU should be fine to do the job...low speed response might suffer slightly, not sure.

Clocking the turbo is not required, but it will shorten your IC piping significantly. Plus it will look a lot cleaner and free up some space. If I were going FMIC, I'd definitely clock that puppy down. It's not all that hard to do.

Hopefully thats what you were looking for? :)

burden

actually yes, that helps a lot! what did u mean by "chrisk" chris? RMR is what i am going with but i thought his website used to say that the 70mm throttle body was what came w/ the manifold. now it just has a pic of a 70mm on a mid-feed manifold. i'll have to email him about that. anywho, i eventually wanna build the motor to around 400whp. at around 300 whp or so i want to swap the motor into an alltrac because i'll have major traction issues in my gt at that point. i wanna go RMR now so i dun have to upgrade later. same w' clocking. about clocking: good link anybody know of for 3sgte clocking? i can find a lot of DSM stuff out there but nothing specifically for clocking. thanks-