Mines Fuel Hacker *testing and shakedown complete*

MrWOT

Well, I bought one just for the hell of it, so I guess I'LL tell you guys what it does once I install it :wink: Should be here on thursday. Figured I'd get a jump on it for the upcoming bay area dyno day :smokes:

ChrisD

Cool. I have no idea what it does, I've never seen one. But I'd be interested to see its capabilities.

:smokes:

CMS-GT4

I have heard about it, mostly a safc for the 3sgte ecu. If I remeber correctly it wires into the ecu and modifys the ecu's fuel programing rather then tricking it. May be off, been a while since I had seen one.

MrWOT

Okay, as of 3:50pm I installed the thing, was a pita because whoever owner my AT before me somehow broke the little clips off the ECU harness so it took me forever to wiggle them out without breaking anything :roll:

It's very easy to install, though finding a place to put the harness where it won't rattle was tricky... up until I got some duct tape and silenced it :wink:

I haven't had a chance to do extensive testing, but so far it works as follows.

It has several lights on it, "Power" "Inj" "FH" "ADD" "MAX"

So far I've only a clue what 2 of them do :shrug: The power light is obvious, but the Inj light coresponds to injector duty cycle. The light flashes for each pulse. The other 3 lights have yet to activate, but I haven't been able to test more yet, as I have not yet run the vacuum line to the back of the unit. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

The "Boost" value seems to be the minimum boost needed before the fuel map is altered. I set it to Zero and was playing with it at idle, works quite well, and it seems to be able to lean as well an enrich, with the very middle of "Value" being stock setting, so you could use this to run bigger injectors :D

Anyway, I'll give it a good shakedown tomorrow after I run a vac line through the firewall, so stay tuned :)

Oh, and I asked Hideki to look around and see if he could find any documentation on the thing, he was very nice about it and called Mines, and while they have no documentation in stock, and the unit is discontinued, they are looking. With any luck they will come up with a copy.

SuperWhite92

As far as "Max" goes, i think i remember reading something in the SMT6 thread about what it does. Maybe it's the same thing?

I saw that fuel hacker and I thought man, thatd be cool. But then I realized I would probably break something.

MrWOT

Okay, got the vac line run and all I can say is... Whoa! This thing is nice.

Things I've learned from testing.

The FH line must stand for 'Fuel Hack' because the light is only on while the device is modifying the fueling.

The boost knob is indeed the minimum pressure value in the manifold before the unit starts modding the curve, so if you set it for say, 0.8, it will activate at about 11.7psi, or you can set it to zero and change anything above about 1/4 throttle :D

It definetly removes the fuel cut, as I'm now running 14psi and before the comp cut it at 11psi.

It can adjust for insane ammounts of fuel appearantly, at about 50% on the value knob at 14psi it was overflooding the engine and causing bogging :twisted:

It does not seem to be able to lean the mixture afterall, so it might not be so useful with larger injectors as I previously believed, but I'm going to swap my injectors for lucas disc types soon with a slightly higher flow, mainly because disc types can be safely run at about 90% duty cycle continuously where regular fuel injectors get dangerous over 85% on a continual level.

I have no idea what the "ADD" light does, but I suspect the unit might tap the stock O2 sensor readings to tell you if you're leaning out! I didn't want to experiment to find out. The same goes for "MAX" in that I haven't encountered it coming on yet, I assume MAX probably means the injector duty cycle is at 100%? But again I can't be sure. If anyone living in the UK could try and find a manual for it, it would be greatly appreciated :)

So as of today I'm now running about 13.5psi with a 25% fueling increase after 9psi, it works wonderfully. I'll be able to tinker with it more at the alltrac meet in december in the bay area, can't wait 8)

MrWOT

It's plug and play. The harness that comes with it has 3 ends, 1 that connects to the back of the unit, one connects to the back of the ECU and the last one is where to conect the wiring harness to the hacker harness (the part that normally attatches to ECU).

Took about 7 mins to install, and that's including running the vac line through the firewall :D

nynoah75

I just bought a HKS FCON and will be testing that out soon too. I just have to replace my Turbo first. And get a REAL boost gauge.

SuperWhite92

I'm jealous man, It sounds awesome. I want one now. For what you paid, its great for fuel control on a budget. I'm gonna hafta start hunting and watching Ebay.