WTA intercooler conversion st185rc -> st185

DemonCelica

I've been upgrading my 92 st185 slowly, so far i've just done the jdm front bumper and swapped in a ct20b... which was quite a pain in itself. I'm trying to keep the car spiritually stock for the most part.

instead of moving to a FMIC i'd like to convert to a water to air system and i've heard the st185rc was a good way to go. plus i've seen pics and it's a nice looking intercooler. i think alltrac.net used to have some pointers on this but that was back in the day.

since i'm running air to air right now i know it's gonna go far beyond plug and play. if anyone's done this swap i could really use some advice... and maybe suggestions on where to source the parts. (or even part numbers) :doh:

ChrisD

Well you basically need the core, a pump, a heat exchanger, and the hoses. It's a pretty simple system. The core itself is pretty easy to deal with, it'll pop right on pretty much. You might need to buy a 165 throttle body connector, since the outlet on the IC is a little larger than the 185. 185RC and 165 connector are the same.

DemonCelica

How different are the WTA setups between the st185rc and the st205?
i would guess the st205 would be easier to source but idk... the intercooler from a st205 would be a nice match for my ct20b though. :lol:

that diagram looks like it could be a big help, thanks.

all the piping on those FMIC just doesn't seem right to me for some reason... although it does seem like it might be the easier/cheaper solution.

saved_1992

if you want to fit the 205 ic here is a write up on how to fit the ic on a 165. yes the 205 ic also will fit under a 185 hood without removing the rubber, i have a 185 and tried the fit so i know this.

you will just need the throttle adapter,gasket and the coupler along with the adjustment of the ic inlet, and of course the rest of the ic system

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2136

vtang_gt4

it's a very good mod, the chargecooler systems are known to take well over 400bhp.

on the st185 go for the cs chargecooler, this is purely for ease of fitting. the st205 box is a lot bigger and the throttle body rubber bit is larger meaning a lot of playing about to make it fit.

the main differences between the 2 is that the st205 box is 1 row bigger and the outlet is 5mm or so bigger.

no major gains i would have thought from having the st205 box over the st185cs box

gt_turbo

regarding saved 1992's setup. do you guys think there is a bottleneck effect from the ats TB being smaller than the st205 outlet? similar to a 3"dp going to a 2.5" exhaust piping. and if there is how bad would it be, could it possibly ruin your ic/turbo?

saved_1992

you have to downsize the outlet some where, i have seen people make the ic outlet smaller to fit the 185 rubber coupler, use an adapter like mine,modify the 205 coupler, the ones i have seen all have the same 185 throttle body which is smaller than the 205 throttle body. the engine will actually suck in the air the same time the turbo is pushing the air (correct if wrong). exhaust only exits, gets pushed out. also have seen when someone goes fmic and have bigger tubes to the throttle and then make them smaller to fit the 185 coupler. have not heard of a problem in any of those set-ups.

gt_turbo

i was just wondering. but if pat c. can hit 12's like gary said. then shouldn't be that big of a deal, because even if you have a bigger tb inlet, your tb will still need to be bored to match and then you intake manifold as well. for my st205 ic setup i used the plastic afm adapter that the k&n kit comes with and just drilled my own holes to fit the bolt patterns, and i picked up a paper gasket from autozone. haven't got the motor started yet, so i'll have to see how it holds up when i do get it up and running. also are you running the stock 205 water pump or aftermarket? and where'd you end up mounting your pump since there is only so much room. i have an aftermarket water pump, a centripuppy or whatever. does anybody know how to hook up the power, is it just orange wire to positive, black to ground, and thas it? those are the only 2 wires. just wanted to make sure so i don't fry my $170 pump. thanks guys.

DemonCelica

well i'm all about ease after seeing how "easy" it is to fit the parts that are supposed to fit... the only problem now is sourcing a cs intercooler and setup... if i could find jdm part numbers i'd give my local dealer a shot. anyone have suggestions on where to find a cs intercooler? or better yet, anyone getting rid of one?

i know it's a long shot, but does anyone have one of those b/w diagrams of the st185rc like the st205 that was posted earlier? i figure i could just attempt to grab part numbers and try swinging it past Toyota.

i might be heading over to Japan next month but my Japanese is limited so getting info out of them would be problematic unless i have pretty pictures to show them. :p

Halfie

Sorry for dredging this up, but I've JUST gotten a ST185, and right off the bat someone offered me a ST205 intercooler, an aftermarket water pump and a Subaru Liberty radiator... No hoses though.

Is this a "do yourself" thing, or will I need to get mounts custom made or stuff welded? The other question is that the guy told me that it's from a GroupA GT4... can this be true? I didn't know they made them for the ST205?

MARLON1211

DemonCelica":2gw07jxu said:
I've been upgrading my 92 st185 slowly, so far i've just done the jdm front bumper and swapped in a ct20b... which was quite a pain in itself. I'm trying to keep the car spiritually stock for the most part.

instead of moving to a FMIC i'd like to convert to a water to air system and i've heard the st185rc was a good way to go. plus i've seen pics and it's a nice looking intercooler. i think alltrac.net used to have some pointers on this but that was back in the day.

since i'm running air to air right now i know it's gonna go far beyond plug and play. if anyone's done this swap i could really use some advice... and maybe suggestions on where to source the parts. (or even part numbers) :doh:

give me some info on you ct20b upgrade, how is it.

Halfie

saved_1992":2u055qhb said:
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2136

idea on what needs to be done to fit a 205 ic

maybe from a wrc model?

I'm just having concerns about how to hook up the water pump to actually power it? :shrug:

At a guess i'm thinking that I'd need to figure out some way to hook it to the battery, but also to have it only turn on when the car starts up, and have it constantly running, much like the basic upgrade to the WTA GroupA that a lot of places recommend. Any ideas?