spark plugs

TRDcelica90

interesting read.. i use 7s just because i thought our engines r hot as f*ck nd will help..

i also get that boggy response when the car is cold, im going back to 6s next time.. see if that helps.

iridiums were great on my old car

BriinumsBo

any ideas about BPR plugs? projected insulator type. they should run better in all conditions. but could it hurt the engine? projected insulator can hit the piston in some hemi engines and others, where combustion chamber is small or thin.
i have mr2 rev3 with wiseco pistons that are a tad higher compression than OEM. wondering if BPRs might hurt the pistons?

seems BPRs are suggested as oem for st165/162, but they do have lower compression ratio :/

snakeeater

iridium, platimum, coppers ive run them all and fouled them all. Irdium are $$$, im asumming thats why pple diss them. Every time i install them I can feel them making a bit more power over the platmiums and I assume thats why they are on most new cars.

Xiansheng

Hey guyz... Got a question...

for my newly aquired RC, I'm replacing the cap, rotor, wires(the car has some tiny thin wires.. ARGH..lol), and spark plugs, and this is the deal...

The RC has from factory in the ECU 17psi fuel cut. I will never go past this.. when I finally tune the beast, I'll probably run her in the 10-14psi range, later on with 2.5DP, 2.5 exhaust, that's about it, let her breath in and out better and tune her.. so I aint goin crazy with cams etc.. and major extra power..

I need to know what plugs are the safest with this cold or hot business, I really dont get it cuz there's so many options and opinions, of course I want wicked plugs for power, but the grade, I want the best for safety as well, I already blew two 3sgte's in my day, and I'm all nervous about what to choose for my tune up, like copper vs platinum vs iridium, I just want the best for turbo cars, and for the celica RC turbo.. are they all ok?

Should I follor the advise in the 3sgte power primer pages, cuz I was thinking to.
---
To help keep the cylinders cooler under high boost and insure that the stock ignition keeps the spark going strong, you should replace the stock plugs with a set of NGK 6097 copper spark plugs. These are one step colder than the stock plugs to help keep detonation in check. You should gap them at 0.028", which is a little less than stock to make it a little bit easier on the ignition system to keep the spark going strong and reliably even under higher boost pressure. These will need to be replaced every 5K miles or so. Note that you do not need to make any other changes to the stock ignition system until you reach a higher power point. It is a myth that you can make more power with aftermarket ignition components on the 3S-GTE. All that the ignition can do is lose power if it is weak or not properly functioning. The stock ignition and components, except for the spark plugs is adequate to 17-18psi in good working condition.
---
(copy pasted from here: http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm)

I know I can read and read, and read all day, but I still don't know what to choose for my situation with this JDM gt4 RC... I want her to run n|CCCE. :D
any advise/tips/hElp? Thank you!

BriinumsBo

ok, i checked that BPR and BKR have no difference in dimensions or "projected insulator" going further out of the plug. went with bkr7es-11. exhaust seems to "bubble" a bit more, while pulling on the straight i can also feel some seldom power losses (detonation? is it possible?). otherwise everything is good :)

Xiansheng":usrzjmn6 said:
Hey guyz... Got a question...

I know I can read and read, and read all day, but I still don't know what to choose for my situation with this JDM gt4 RC... I want her to run n|CCCE. :D
any advise/tips/hElp? Thank you!

Toyota recommends....

ND PK20R8
NGK BKR6P8

tubasteve

Dead thread awoken.

I run the 7 in mine cause of where i live, may till October it's 95+. I ran 16-17 psi, but then switch it into my stock Alltrac and never changed the plugs for hotter ones. The knock counter hasn't picked up any difference. The engine is currently 7-8 psi only. Response is great. Just time to change this weekend based on time not issue/wear.

-jr