spark plugs

st185rc

i have a friend who had an mr2 and suggested that i get copper spark plugs instead of iridium. what's a good spark plug to go with and plug wires? i'm probably going to get them changed during my next tune up.

Corey

would you recommend the "7" NGK plug, or the hotter 6 plug for stock boost?

i have to change mine out soon too

Corey

smog7

Corey Darling":d0pu5imo said:
would you recommend the "7" NGK plug, or the hotter 6 plug for stock boost?

i have to change mine out soon too

Corey

I would just go with the 6 for stock boost. I have read that on stock boost used with 7+ series plugs mess shit up.

etantshi

I have never had a problem with the 7s fouling. However this is with 1 bar of boost. So to put it straight, if you're completely stock the bkr6e should be fine.

Matico40

Does anybody have more knowledge in this area, I have always been confused. From what I have heard, Iridium are much "better" than copper because the spark is so punctual and strong that it is hard to get a misfire, especially with high octane fuel. The only negative thing I heard is that they can break when you put them in and that of course, is very bad. But I don't know why copper would be better than iriduim. Anyone???

smog7

Matico40":3qpjd8kk said:
Does anybody have more knowledge in this area, I have always been confused. From what I have heard, Iridium are much "better" than copper because the spark is so punctual and strong that it is hard to get a misfire, especially with high octane fuel. The only negative thing I heard is that they can break when you put them in and that of course, is very bad. But I don't know why copper would be better than iriduim. Anyone???

coppers are allllloooot cheaper then iriduims. But the coppers dont last as long.

toayoztan

Matico40":2xn0wxw0 said:

Actually i hear almost the opposite.

The iridiums last longer, however they don't give out as decent of spark and cost more.

The coppers don't last as long, but are cheaper and give a good spark.

Regardless of which gives out good or bad spark, the coppers are cheap and I don't mind replacing mine often (as i do it every other oil change).

Bryan

Corey

I've been running on toyota's NGK Double Platnium plugs for 15000 km now, still seems to be running well. Im going to change them out soon for some NKG 6 coppers to see what kind of difference i get.

I try to change my oil every 8000Km as per the BGB. so thats 2 oil changes roughly before i should change out my plugs? will the coppers last that long?

Also, to remove the plugs, do i need a special socket? and the plug wires just pull straight off correct?

Thanks

corey

gpmarzan

Corey Darling":2994n4ek said:
I try to change my oil every 8000Km as per the BGB. so thats 2 oil changes roughly before i should change out my plugs? will the coppers last that long?

corey

Depends how you drive your car. I drive mine relatively 'normal' meaning off of boost most of the time (gas saving :wink: ) and I change mine every other oil changes. Though sometimes it looks like the plugs can be used a bit more when I change them out, but I change them anyway because theyre cheap.

klue

i use the bkr7e plugs, there like 2 bucks each, and i change them every oil change. id say you could easily use them for 3-5,000 miles.

But i change my oil every 3,000 kms. they always look brand new with no signs of wear, or change in gap distance.

Ive used the iridiums, platinums, and coppers. The coppers i like.

WarTowels

I've got some bkr7e's waiting to go in. I'm also wondering if they can be dropped in or if I need to gap them.

-Towels

toayoztan

gpmarzan":wrhwlkun said:
WarTowels":wrhwlkun said:
I've got some bkr7e's waiting to go in. I'm also wondering if they can be dropped in or if I need to gap them.

-Towels

you gap them

Not always you have to. Otherwise, i think generally just have them gapped at "31". On higher boost/power some run them tighter. However, i'm running 1 bar with the CT27 and I just keep the bkr7e at stock specs (~31 i believe).

Bryan

toayoztan

WarTowels":25db919l said:
I guess I'll just check the BGB and buy a gapper since I don't know what the plugs came at stock.

-Towels

Do yourself a favor too and buy yourself feeler gauge set. Skip out on the round metal plug gapper tool.

Bryan

etantshi

toayoztan":1fdo5e90 said:
WarTowels":1fdo5e90 said:
I guess I'll just check the BGB and buy a gapper since I don't know what the plugs came at stock.

-Towels

Do yourself a favor too and buy yourself feeler gauge set. Skip out on the round metal plug gapper tool.

Bryan

Agreed. You don't want a crooked electrode.

WarTowels

Will do. Thanks guys.

I'll pick that up when I buy my first set of jack stands.

I will miss my old tree stumps... :lol:

-Towels