Downpipe bracket, WTH does it go?

lumbercis

Okay, I have an XS powa downpipe and it came with a support bracket. A couple problems I had with installing it:

1. Should the bolts that attach the DP to MP go in with the hex head facing toward the front or the rear of the car? I had problems with the top bolt because the curve of the DP leading to the flange was such that it interfered with putting the hex head toward the front. But it also made it difficult to put the bolt there as well, because you couldn't get a tool around the bolt facing forward. And that was without the bracket! With the bracket in front of the DP flange, I couldn't get enough thread to get the bolt in. Which leads to...

2. The bracket. Where does it go? Should it mount in front of the DP flange? Between the flange and the MP? Behind the MP flange?

This seems like it would be alot easier with longer bolts. :x :cry:

Help!

J.

Stubble

The bracket should go where it fits best. It won't go between the MP and the DP (that's what the gasket is for :wink: ), so your 2 options are in front of the DP or behind the MP. If longer bolts will make it easier, go buy some longer bolts. As for bolt direction, again whatever fits and allows you to torque properly.

daveryan

I have the full XS twin tip and had the same problem. I ended up cutting away part of one bolt hole on the bracket to make it work. There was simply no way it was going to fit. So now one of the holes is more hook than hole. The bolt/washer still provides clamping force.

My bracket is on the DP side I think. Putting it on the other side was even less possible if I recall.

lumbercis

^I think my problem might be that for whatever reason, there was about an inch of distance between the stock midpipe and downpipe. I had to use some vise grips to clamp the two sides together enough to get a bolt through. I still have a bit of space between the MP and DP even now that it's bolted up. My friend said it was because of the crush washer and that it was normal to have a bit of space between the two flanges.

How much space do you have between the two flanges? Hopefully I will have a little more play when I put the 3' MP on.

J.

gt4tified

lumbercis":1ikz48mg said:
^I think my problem might be that for whatever reason, there was about an inch of distance between the stock midpipe and downpipe. I had to use some vise grips to clamp the two sides together enough to get a bolt through. I still have a bit of space between the MP and DP even now that it's bolted up. My friend said it was because of the crush washer and that it was normal to have a bit of space between the two flanges.

How much space do you have between the two flanges? Hopefully I will have a little more play when I put the 3' MP on.

J.

What space are you talking about??? As far as I know any 'space' is an exhaust leak which is never good for your engine and turbo. Use some small clamps and clamp the two flanges together but more importantly line up the bolt holes before you do....use a strong screwdriver that will fit into the holes and wiggle the flanges until the bolts can go through. It doesn't matter which end of the bolt goes on which side...as long as it fits...I had to use one longer bolt if memory recalls.

The bracket will definitely fit better just before the downpipe flange as there is a bolt on the tranny that is made for it there.

Stubble

If you replace your OEM MP, the new one will have a slip joint that will eliminate the space you see between your MP and DP.

lumbercis

I guess that space wasn't a good thing since there was exhaust gas leaking out of it. Anyway, the MP will probably be going on this weekend, so that should take care of that problem.

J.

underscore

massive bump cause I can't find any info on this, where on the engine does the aftermarket downpipe bracket mount to? My downpipe never came with one so I wanna toss something on there to prevent cracks.

spitfiremk16

underscore":on6aqpa1 said:
massive bump cause I can't find any info on this, where on the engine does the aftermarket downpipe bracket mount to? My downpipe never came with one so I wanna toss something on there to prevent cracks.

the down pipe bracket bolts to the block inbetween the oil return hardline bracket and the block, on the downpipe end it bolts up in front of the dwnpipe's bottom flange. hopefully this pic will help to explain.

IMG_2386.jpg