ASI Radiators: Pics P.16; Info P.17 & 18

Rick89GTS

Here's what they said about making an ST165 aluminum radiator:

"Dear Rick,
We could make it if you guys can send us a sample radiator(don't care which is leak or damaged)
- asi_performance"

MY REPSPONSE:
Thank you for the quick reply.
I will try to find an ST165 / GT4 sample radiator to send you. I need the following details:
1) a contact person, telephone number or name of someone to deal with,
2) address where to send the sample radiator to,
3) would the final price be about the same as the ST185 radiator? (US$260-$275?) [shipping to Canada/USA adds about $80]
4) how long to produce?
5) is there a minimum order?

Anyone got an old ST165 radiator for mock up?
I'll see what they say - it may or may not be worth it depending on costs and shipping....

Rick89GTS

^Yes, considering a regular one has plastic end tanks with copper/brass core.

So, anyone got an old leaky ST165 radiator available for use as a mock-up?

Rick89GTS

Quick response, they got back to me already:

ST165; 56mm core aluminum Radiator:
Final price: US$275
Shipping to US/Canada: approx: $25/$50

Build time: 2 months
Minimum order: 10 pcs

Still factoring in some other details, will update later.
Canada Customs Duty is 6% + GST + PST....

EDIT: they have agreed to cover the cost for shipping the sample radiator over there.

G-Zone

Has anybody checked prices from PWR of Australia? Are they still able to make the ST165 Aluminum radiators? I'm just curious how much they would be going for.

Rick89GTS

___Scott___":165vhnh9 said:
If they can work from this, it would save them some $ on shipping.
Scott: Thanks for the measurements but since the factory is far away in Shanghai, China, I'd feel better if they had an actual sample to work from. I could email your link to them though. Besides, they have agreed to cover shipping costs. Bonus.

G-Zone":165vhnh9 said:
Has anybody checked prices from PWR of Australia? Are they still able to make the ST165 Aluminum radiators? I'm just curious how much they would be going for.
G-Zone: PWR USA quoted me by email: $599. Over the phone: $550. Pricey but PWR quality, reputation and made in USA. Is that what you paid?

Hotrodhendrix":165vhnh9 said:
Has anyone on here ever used these??
Hotrodhendrix: I'd like to know that too. But they've had only 3 NEG feedback against 381 POS feedback for 99.1% satisfied. The majority worldwide seems happy, so I hope that bodes well.

Factoring in exchange rate, duties, taxes and shipping, it's approximately
ASI $350-$375 vs PWR $650 or more. $300+/- difference is significant.
Price-wise, it's clear. However, ASI is made in China, so the X factor is quality. Here's more about ASI: http://autosourcing.en.alibaba.com/aboutus.html

935motorsports

I have experience with china radiators. The price seem surprising, but is actually on par with other radiators from china, if not more expensive.

If we can get this going, i am willing to get a quantity for stock here.

With china parts, it tends to take 2 or 3 times to get it right. The first run might be a little off somewhere, but considering the price is always a good deal.

So for those that get in on the first run, be prepared for minor issues. The good news is that they are always willing to go back and fix the issues on the next run.

I'm in! So, who has that core?

G-Zone

Rick89GTS":wmiojm7e said:
PWR USA quoted me by email: $599. Over the phone: $550. PWR quality, reputation and made in USA. Is that what you paid?

Wow, thats pricey. I think i paid mine for around $400, but they were telling me they would work out a deal if I sent my old radiator in to use for a template, which I did.
I was getting frustrated with them because it was taking a couple of months to get it done. Mine was built and shipped from Australia instead of the USA too.

BTW, the radiator (if its like stock fitments) should fit on the regular ST, GT, GTS Celicas as long as you plug up the top opening that goes into the turbo. So you might be able to get the FWD Celica guys in on a group buy to make it more successful.

86turboswap

This is what I asked ASI Performance today

"Thank you for the quick response I just noticed this is for a ST185 not a ST165 any chance you guys have a ST165 radiator, if not I know there are a ton of people on alltrac.net that would be interested in a aluminum ST165 radiator. Please let me know"

Response from ASI Performance

"hi there,we could make it if you can arrange a sample for us,we don't care if it leak or damaged.thanks"

My reply

"What would be the final cost involved to make one for us. I can get a radiator to send to you,what would be the turnaround on it. I know I could get at least a minimum of 5 ppl right now that would buy the radiator."

this is a direct quote from ASI Performance in shanghai, china
"I could do USD300 EACH postage included.it will take 45 days to make.thanks"

I saw there ebay radiator and asked them the questions then did a search & found you guys are allready in the middle of this haha.

Rick89GTS

86turboswap":1a2v1fam said:
....this is a direct quote from ASI Performance in shanghai, china
"I could do USD300 EACH postage included.it will take 45 days to make.thanks"....
Good work :D
US$300 EACH with postage included is a good deal. I'll ask them to clarify my quote and we can go with whichever is lower. I don't care who does it, just as long as we can get some made.

pepper

I'm not immediately in the market but this would certainly be a great option! I also have my old blown up radiator still around. I was saving it for a template in case I wanted to get a custom-built one. Rick, I could bring it up to Seattle next weekend, if Scott can't find his.

RallyX-GT4

Hey Mike,

I love seeing that pic in your signature -- it always makes me smile (not just because it's my car in front :D ).
Anyway, it's a little frustrating to be at this point when I think about a conversation I had with a guy at Koyo... long story short, they have a model for out cars (ST165s) but can't release it because it was FOR Toyota and their racing program. Since there are some "rights" involved, they can't release it to Joe Smack on the street...
What are you gonna do? Anyone know someone at Koyo better than I do?

Rick89GTS

^I love that sig too. That was a great All-Trac Meet in Seattle back in 2003. IIRC, we had some 20+ All-Tracs present. Probably one of the biggest gatherings of 165s and 185s ever.

BTW, to those who offered old 165 radiators, I got your PM's and emails. Just waiting on a reply from ASI and 86turboswap so we can coordinate this deal and get the radiator made. Will update again shortly!

935motorsports

Keep in mind that while $275 sounds really cheap, typical china radiators are less then $200 because they make over 100 pieces at a time.

The higher price will be for the lower quantity.

Once they are done, I can purchase a quantity so that there is no group buy required. When they come in, I will retail them and stock them.

Rick89GTS

OK, he gave me the same quote with shipping included:

US$300 shipped anywhere in USA
US$325 shipped anywhere in Canada

Shipping costs of the sample radiator have to be defined and then it should be a GO.

A

Anonymous

yeah:

US$300 shipped anywhere in USA
US$325 shipped anywhere in Canada

hi guys ,from now then ,asiperformance answer all your questions here.
any questions,feel free to ask me .we try to have it reply in an hour.

thanks guys

kevin wang
MSN:asiperformance@hotmail.com

88st165

damn this is tempting and my pockets are currently empty! about when is this going to happen so i can make sure i can get in on this.

Rick89GTS

Excellent, Kevin Wang is now an All-Trac Member and we can deal with him directly. Welcome aboard, ASI :D

Guys, this deal will happen as soon as we can get a sample radiator into Kevin's hands. He has agreed to deduct the cost of shipping a radiator to him off the sender's order. I will post the address he's given me shortly. In the meantime, who can ship him an old radiator to use as a template?