looking to do a coil on plug conversion (help)!!!

alltracst185

ok i was talking to my tuner and he said i could squeeze more power out of my car just by doing a coil on plug conversion, so my question is what can i use to do this and where to get all the parts?

Simba

Unless you're making 500+ horse, your tuner knows not what he speaks.

It's extremely difficult to do on the stock computer, relatively easy with a standalone.

alltracst185

ya i told him i was getting a aem ems and i also told him i had a 255 fuel pump and aeromotive fpr and a performance fuel rail....

xaftermath801x

the aem is capable of controlling up to four ignition outputs. you will need a cdi such as an msd dis four, or an igniter with four ignition outputs. you also could run a wasted spark setup by only running 2 outputs and getting an igniter out of something like a dsm. then find individual coils that will fit in the valley where the oil filler is at. i wanted to run 300m coils but they didnt fit in the valley so i ended up getting some out of a honda cbr that fit perfect. only downside is that you have to run a plug with the tips that screw off like a denso iridium but ive been told people have used a lathe to grind the tips that dont down.

xaftermath801x

yeah you can do that and i orginally planned on doing it but the coils are 100 bucks a pop. also with having internal igniters i was told that you cannot control dwell time or run them with a cdi box. not sure why or any details i would have missed with running those coils but it really just depends on horsepower goals and ultimately how much you want to spend. i really like the idea though its convenient to have coils with internal igniters and not having to run a seprate box. the cbr coils are dirt cheap and you can find them used everywhere. they have been proven over 800 hp and i know someone who made over that with a honda del sol using the same coils.

Fourplay

BTW, one of the most freqently sold parts at the dealer due to failure on the Caldina GTT are the COP units.

Not because it is a bad part but more likely due to extreme heat stress.

grip-addict

You should email racerx and see how compatible it is.
You can run direct fire on any engine as long as the ECU supports it (factory gen1-3 3s engines do not).
The question is going to be the triggering. If the kit has physical compatibility issues with the gen 1 3s engine, you can always retain the distributor for cam/crank signals. There's no point in attempting this mod if your ECU doesn't have 4 ignition drivers though.

I’m running a Link G4x ECU, so should be good there.
Not exactly sure how to wire it though I’ll do some digging.
The kit is supposed to use 1ZZ FE coil packs. Those are too tall for Gen 1, interfere with intercooler.
I need to find some coil packs that are about 3.25” stem length.
Seems some of the MR2 guys have done this. Haven’t really seen a Celica COP Conversion.
Valve covers are different.

Gert

Don't expect mirracles from an COP conversion. I have had them all. Stock, stock with EMS, wasted spark and COP with Yamaha R6 coils. And I have run these coppers with the Autronic 500R which is having an "strong spark" function.
Well, I noticed nothing.
So, unless you are seeing really big horsepowers or ignition problems, nothing to gain here.

At the moment I run an stock ignition due to starting problems.
Once upon a time, the car did suffer good cold starts in the morning and I suspected malfunction in the ignition system somewhere. So I build her back to stock.
Problem started in 2012 and was solved in 2015. Problem was the reluctor interface, needed for the Autronic to work with the 3S triggering.

Anyway, now I still have my stock ignition because it is rock solid. Parts are easy and plugs lasts very long. And to be honest, I recently tested the car and she is the fastest ever in my possession.

My car is an ST85 and is seeing about 300 hp now.

Thanks for that input. I appreciate it.
I’m starting to wonder if it’s worth the hassle.
I like the idea of getting rid of the cap and wire mess and cleaning the engine looks some. And at high boost (22 psi) and rpms (above 6,000) I’m getting some some mis fire and back fires occasionally. Suspecting the ignition.

Gert

Cannot advise you here. I do not push my car over 1,1 bar with the CT27.
But, you could be right. When I first started with the Autronic 500r, I got misfires too under boost. At that moment I had an pluggap at 1 mm. I thought: hey, the 500R is the best ignition available, so 1 mm should work.

But Ray Hall, from Autronic, advised me to gap to 0,6 mm. Since then, no problems anymore. So boost was blowing my spark away.

grip-addict

If you have trouble getting cop to fit, you could always remote fire dedicated coils. I'm curious as to why we don't see this more often on our cars considering the space the water to air intercoolers takes up.
Maybe it is indeed due to the power limitations of wta and how good the factory ignition system is.

Wiring the coils would depend on which ones you need, but it should be straight forward. I like the factory grounding location on the head and plan to use that when I convert mine (distributor leaks too much and replacement isn't an option anymore.) Closeness to spark is key.
The 12v+ wire can come from the factory ignition fuse in the box; wire size will depend on coils, but I bet it can be smaller than one normally thinks it would need to be. When I do it, I'll run 16# from fuse then split it out to 18# or 20# right in front of ign1a's.

I suggest using a breakout connector somewhere in your ignition loom. I've been using dtm/dtp connectors when running wires in my car and they are AWESOME. so easy to use and the saved time is 1000% worth the added expense in my garage.

I like the idea of remote firing dedicated coils. I just don’t know exactly how to do it

I found Denso coil pack part number 6731300 (which is the same as Toyota Part number: 90919-02239 for 1ZZFE engine ) does barely fit under the intercooler with about 1/16” of clearance. I’m maybe going to try setting up those.

I like the idea of remote firing dedicated coils. I just don’t know exactly how to do it

I found Denso coil pack part number 6731300 (which is the same as Toyota Part number: 90919-02239 for 1ZZFE engine ) does barely fit under the intercooler with about 1/16” of clearance. I’m maybe going to try setting up those.