Can you run 550cc injectors with mods to the AFM

SuperRunner

Is it possible to change the resistance or increase the tension on the spring to run 550cc injectors, as long as you have a WB02 to tune it with?

ChrisD

Sure you can run them. But you'll need something better than just playing with the AFM. An adjustable FPR + a piggyback like the SMT-6 or Emanage would work, and is what I will be doing in the very near future. But you also need to watch out for the bad effects these devices have on timing.

SuperRunner

Well, I was thinking that if I changed the resistance or something in the AFM. With that, I should be able to run larger injectors. Although, my logic isn't working as if I could do that without effecting timing.

I do have an AFPR.

ChrisD

Well, in essence, tightening the AFM just makes the ECU think that there is not as much air entering the engine, and therefore injects less fuel. Of course, it also has further advanced timing maps for this because it thinks there is less air in there. Can be dangerous.

I don't think, however, that the AFM could be used to control bigger injectors to any reasonable degree. IMHO I just doubt that it would be adjustable enough, not to mention it would be pretty difficult to get this tuned reasonably well at any/all levels of airflow.

You could try it, but I just dont think you'd have a lot of luck. :shrug:

Another thing is that maxing out the AFM is quite easy to do, and would take a large adjustment in order to actually reduce the AFM value at WOT. Which might result in detonation/poor running at lower rpms/load points.

SuperRunner

Then an AFC would be just the same. All you do is change the amount of air that the system thinks it is getting.

I don't see why an AFC would be needed.

In supra's, you just replace the AFM with a larger one. I really don't see any difference.

The only way to get around timing issues is to go stand alone, or some ignition system.