Twin CT26's?

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

Just a thought, which is a silly one, and i really want someone to slap me and tell me to get over it. But apart from making alot of custom stuff. What's wrong with using 2 CT26's?

I realise they would proberbly be laggy as hell. But still. Would make for an easy way of upgrading. And getting 2nd hand CT26's is quite easy.

If not 2 CT26's why not use 2 internally gated turbo's off say a JZA80 Supra?

Gary

slap.gif

:D Ha Ha, j/k
PRO
Unique setup

CON
Too much custom work
Not enough space?
Heavy
Less efficient
Reliability issue (more pieces putting together, higher chance of failure)
Including all the work, i doubt that twin-CT26 setup will cost less.

IMO, Why bother if other setups are available and can get the job done.

Zeus

twin turboing a 4 cylender car is pointless unless you want to do something completely different.. its like that tri turbo supra...

there are better and cheaper ways to make power

just think that you would have to have a new manifold x2 the turbo's

you couldnt use the stock ic... so you would have to either make up two very small top mounts or lots of piping on a front mount... this in a car where piping is difficult enough as it is

and now lets look at the benefits of the set up? well you would lose all the lowend which is the only real good thing about the ct26 the amount of money you would have invested at this point could have gotten you a better spooling and probably higher flowing turbo not to mention that ct26 downpipes are a pain in the ass to make... now you would have to make two of them!

just not worth it in my opinion... unless you could make them run sequential.. but even then for the amount of work and money i think there would be a better way to make more power...

*slap*

Conrad_Turbo

Buy 2 chevy sprint turbos and twin turboing a 3sgte would be a better idea. But I don't see what is wrong with going with an upgraded single turbo setup. Really the 3sgte doesn't move enough air to warrent a twin turbo setup as compared to a 6 or 8 cylinder engine.

MrWOT

You don't use multiple turbos for capacity, you use them so you have a lower threshold with a true twin system, or in sequential you use them so you have the first turbo with a small compressor and small a/r spool at low rpm, then it diverts to a larger turbine/compressor gradually at mid rpm when it starts becoming restrictive. That way you have the widest torque curve available.

True twins are only useful in V configuration engines, since with an inline motor you could just as easily make a split pulse housing and manifold to make up the spool difference. The 3S could benefit from a sequential setup, any motor could, but it's hard to plumb, especially with how little room we have available, the biggest issue is wastegate control, if you make the switch to the larger turbine to slow, or too fast, it hurts the powerband ALOT because of turbulance in the exhaust stream.

MrWOT

Edit: Now that I think about it, I suppose you COULD use identical turbos sequentially, but the management would be tricky, you would have to start allowing exhaust to flow to the secondary depending on the engine rpm, throttle position, and actual airflow through the MAF. Would be tricky though, since any time you let off the gas a little bit the secondary should have flow cut to it, much increasing flow to the primary...? I'm not sure it actually works like that, that's just how I could picture it with two identical turbos... don't think it's very safe though, since with any kind of problem with a vac line etc on the bypass system everything would flow to the primary and overspeed it, possibly causing it to grenade :shrug:

T-spoon

MrWOT":12hznxu1 said:
Edit: Now that I think about it, I suppose you COULD use identical turbos sequentially, but the management would be tricky, you would have to start allowing exhaust to flow to the secondary depending on the engine rpm, throttle position, and actual airflow through the MAF. Would be tricky though, since any time you let off the gas a little bit the secondary should have flow cut to it, much increasing flow to the primary...? I'm not sure it actually works like that, that's just how I could picture it with two identical turbos... don't think it's very safe though, since with any kind of problem with a vac line etc on the bypass system everything would flow to the primary and overspeed it, possibly causing it to grenade :shrug:

Yeah, that's how the Supra works, airflow is basically cut off to the second "rear" turbo until given RPM. It does make for a very ponderous system. When the twin turbos and all their related piping and gear comes out of the supra and a big single put in, there's a huge difference in engine bay room

OlyST185

that doesnt worth it trust me, it will take more exhaust pulses to make turn two turbines... so more lag.
there a shop here that done a VW vr6 tri-turbo setup and trust me the single turbo supra is WAYYYYY more powerfull and fun to drive. that is just for the show.

Conrad_Turbo

Besides a single turbo setup is more efficient than a twin turbo setup. You'd either need two very small turbo's for a 3sgte or else one appropriate sized turbo that could very well do the same job (just have a bit hundred rpm more lag).

But that slight savings in lag, you'll be suffering by carrying around more weight which will affect braking, handling and accelerating. Sometimes the simple ideas are the best and a twin turbo 4 cylinder would be more for bragging rights than actual power goals in mind (at least with any street application).