berk tech downpipe arrived !!!

st185rc

I've never done a downpipe install before so here's my question: is it ok to mate this thing up to the stock b-pipe? from 3" to stock diameter of the midpipe seems to not bode well. when i think about it, it the exhaust that leaves might be heat up the mid pipe too much at the joint where it goes back down to a 2.5"ish restriction.

st185rc":t7c8xxd2 said:
I've never done a downpipe install before so here's my question: is it ok to mate this thing up to the stock b-pipe? from 3" to stock diameter of the midpipe seems to not bode well. when i think about it, it the exhaust that leaves might be heat up the mid pipe too much at the joint where it goes back down to a 2.5"ish restriction.

i installed a berk tech dp on my car and left the stock exhaust for 3 months before i got a 3" exhaust system. I never had any issues.

CelicaAllTrac92

Have fun getting those bottom 2 studs out. I recommend vice grips and a lot of patience!

stocker3.jpg

turbo1.jpg

st185rc

one more question: will the hpc coating be enough to keep the heat down or should i get heat wrap to get things a bit more insulated?

___Scott___

Putting any sort of wrap over an HPC coating will void the warrantee of the coating.

That said, when it comes to insulation, more is better.

Personally I wouldn't use the wrap. It looks so nasty after just a short time.

toayoztan

Some of the heat wraps are fiberglass....god that stuff can get everywhere and is horrible.

If the HP coating becomes bad, get it coated with titanium coating or something that is better and more heat resistant.

Bryan

gt4rcdude

CelicaAllTrac92":1ha11d5u said:

All you had to do was remove the 4 bolts of the a/c compressor and bungee it out of the way. Downpipe comes right off. I used the copper infused thermal wrap and then painted it with black BBQ paint. Looks great and drops under hood temps significantly. I wrapped it all the way under to the flex pipe.

rrain3288

iv tryed many ways to pull that off the car. the best way for me was to just pull the banjo bolt from the oil cooler and push it to the side 1/4 inch it will slide right out. just make sure that you pull the radiator first or you will destroy it

st185rc

ok so i have problems even before i start taking stuff off my car. i have a problem with one of the bolts not being able to go through the hole because of the angle the bolt has to go in

Photo0005-5.jpg

the bolt that's closest to the right that connects to the b-pipe is the bolt i'm having trouble with. i'm starting to scratch up the hpc coating a bit and i'm having no luck getting it to go in like the one pictured above.

st185rc

never mind, i got it, i just had to put a piece of paper between the pipe and the bolt and wiggle it in. now my fingers hurt :(

CelicaAllTrac92

gt4rcdude":1scuiaa2 said:
All you had to do was remove the 4 bolts of the a/c compressor and bungee it out of the way. Downpipe comes right off. I used the copper infused thermal wrap and then painted it with black BBQ paint. Looks great and drops under hood temps significantly. I wrapped it all the way under to the flex pipe.
Oh well, I'll know next time. That was 6 years ago so it's all good.