Bugs and such... need some suggestions

CelicaGT4Racer

So I finally got my alltrac running after the engine rebuild. Now I need a little help working out some bugs. First off, I had to jump it to start it. And for some reason, when I take the jumper cables off the weirdest thing happens. If i rev it up to 3K, a few lights (i.e. check engine, anti-lock) come on, and the windshield wipers come on. Once it goes back down to idle, the lights go off and the wipers go off. Its the strangest thing I've ever seen. And if I shut the car off without the jumper cables connected, it goes completely dead. I know this is either a battery or an alternator, but it's just annoying. Also, when being revved the turbo gauge doesnt seem to be reading anything. That bugs me because the turbo was just rebuilt. I dont even know what exactly reads the pressure. The Oil pressure gauge reads low, but I haven't really revved it up enough to see if it rises. These are just a few of the bugs, but they're the ones who have made themselves first apparent. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Scott

RIalltrac

When you say the turbo gauge isnt reading anything, your not looking at the stock guage are you? those things are junk and arent worth the space they take up on the cluster. get yourself an aftermarket guage to see whats really going on.

Gary

First I guess this is ST165.
You will not see any boost by revving the engine.
Like RIalltrac said, get an aftermarket boost gauge.

MrWOT

Your windshield wipers come on when you rev? :? I'd go with demonic possession and get some holy water :wink: :smokes:

In all seriousness it sounds like you have some wires crossed, literally. The windshield wiper motor takes a good deal of juice to move so it wouldn't activate unless you have a small short in the circuit that activates when you alternator puts enough power through the line to complete the circuit, hence the high rpm symptoms. The fact when it won't do it at idle, when the alternator puts out very few amps, is a pretty good indication of this. Get an amp meter, the clip on kind and test it?

What do you mean by: "And if I shut the car off without the jumper cables connected, it goes completely dead. I know this is either a battery or an alternator, but it's just annoying" ?

Your oil pressure at cold idle will be about 1/3 of the stock pressure gauge for about the first 3 mins, 1/2 when it's warmed up. Revving to 3k should have seen you're oil pressure to at least 2/3 of the stock gauge reading. Of course this will vary a bit depending on the viscosity of the oil you use. Heavier oil will yield higher pressure. I use 5w30.

CelicaGT4Racer

well, when it's started I usually leave the jumper cables on for a few minutes afterwards. When I pull them off, the idle drops down a few hundred rpms. then as soon as i turn the key to off, its just dead. try to start it again with no jumper cables. nada. no lights, no beeping. Nothing.

the oil pressure gauge registers a little bit when i first start it up, then slowly drops down to zero and registers nothing. I'm going to pull off the return line at the oil pan and crank it with no spark to make sure theres no blockage. Then i guess were gonna replace the oil pressure sensor. any other thoughts?

Gary

Wasn't it already dead before you start the car?
(that's why you need to jump start)
Look like you have short circuit somewhere.

CelicaGT4Racer

yes, it was dead... but with the amount of time that it ran and that it was hooked up to the jumper cables should have put a little charge on it... but nothing. plus, the battery is fairly new.