Tranny options - etc

1stGenAllTrac

Hi,
So I'm gotta swap my tranny since there's a gaping hole in it. Gettin around to it in a month or so, and probably going to do some engine mods while its out.
anyways i was reading the other post about engine swaps and i was thinkin, what are my options ?

I have another alltrac tranny but I was going to rebuild it - new synchros. Does anyone know the gear ratios on the camry alltrac? and is it direct bolt on? how is the center diff on it, and does it accept the celica half shafts and drive shaft?
Is there any other options, like a dogbox or short ratio box? does a 185 or 205 have a better diff, different ratios, ?

Also my need for tranny replacement is I blew up the inner CV joint, and it got smacked into the tranny a few times while attached to the wheel I've seen chrome-moly inners and wondering if anyone is using em?

K so any info/suggestions/links are gonna help out. thanx

alltracman78

For engine swap, either [185/205] will mech bolt right in, and both have more potential than the 165. You will have to do a bunch of wiring tho. If you do a search, you should be able to find plenty of info on this.
As far as tranny innards, I don't know.
But
The 185 and 205 trans/rearends will bolt into the 165. However, I believe in both cases you need front and rear, as the ratios are diff than the 165.
They both have stronger syncros, with the 205 being the best.
These are your only feasible options. Unless you plan to spend $$$$$$$$$$$
You shouldn't need CromeMoly shafts, ours are plenty strong enough. Nobodys broke one yet....[from too much hp]

1stGenAllTrac

i'm keepin the 165 engine, it's built up a little already.. for swaps i meant as far as driveline went.

i broke the driveshaft messin around on a rainy night in home depot parking lot... seemed like it went pretty easily.

alltracman78

yeah, newer years are a direct bolt in. Just make sure you get front and back.
Sounds like the shaft was already messed up.
There's people pushing 400+hp at the wheels, with nothing broke.