Aluminum blocks.... intrest?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

toayoztan

zero06":hbtpx9sq said:
i was unaware that that option was on the market. but i have a feeling our cast manifold would be substantially cheaper, and possibly out perform a fabricated intake. I am making it for my car regardless, but if there is demand I will do a group buy. also we are currently throwing around the idea of a reworked direct replacement 3sgte head for the 2nd gen.

You would be wrong. RacerX has proven his intake manifolds to outperform the stock intake manifold and even the RMR up to around 7000rpms or so.

There is a huge amount of info over on the mr2 board.

As far as cost, that manifold will run around 900-1100, as a ballpark.

His design also considers tapered runners to achieve optimal flow to all cylinders.

Bryan

lumbercis

I'm of the opinion that for a car as low-volume as the alltrac, we do NOT need another version of things that are already available (intake manifolds for instance). I'd rather have parts made that are not available anywhere at the moment. I'm sure we could come up with a long list. If I were a vendor I'd also try make as many parts as possible interchangeable with the ST185 and ST205 so you can take advantage of the overseas markets as well.

J.

zero06

I'm of the opinion that for a car as low-volume as the alltrac, we do NOT need another version of things that are already available (intake manifolds for instance). I'd rather have parts made that are not available anywhere at the moment. I'm sure we could come up with a long list. If I were a vendor I'd also try make as many parts as possible interchangeable with the ST185 and ST205 so you can take advantage of the overseas markets as well.

J.

I respect your opinion, and I am sure you would make a great vendor.
Here's the thing... I am not a Vendor, nor do I want to be. I am just a guy with too many "tools"
I am creating parts that I want for MY Alltrac project. I am only making them available so other people can enjoy my efforts to create the car toyota should have.

I am open to ideas, but I am going to take Insult(whether intended or not) to demands of what I should or should not be making for a profit. I am sick of "profit" and get my fair share of that at work. If I gave up my freedom, I would just be working, and I don't need more of that.
so please share your Ideas, and I may find time and a need to make them in the future, when My project reaches that stage. but please don't tell me what I should or should not do.

As for the racer x manifold: I am 100% certain I can Improve on it through engineering my own in auto cad and running it through test software, and physical tests... And It is my estimate that I can create it for much cheaper. I am not Here to bash anyones products, I am In it for the personal challenge.
does that Racer X manifold fit between the firewall and motor?
I think I have heard that it does not, though I am sure that if you called them they could fab it to your needs, thats generally the nature of sheet-metal intakes.

on another note, I am making great progress on the casting rig and my friend and I are going to cast SOMETHING this month. I will Keep you guys updated!

toayoztan

A bit more R&D was put into the RacerX manifolds than you realize. Your statements lead me to believe you didn't do much reading at all on MR2OC. One clear way to ascertain this is because one or more of the manifold designs DO fit the alltrac, there have been several purchases from alltrac owners, and it's been clearly stated in the threads.

I'm not saying you're incompetent nor bashing you, and I believe it is possible to improve on anything with casting vs sheet metal, but you should wash away that stigma of "thrown together sheet metal manifolds" regarding his designs as you see with many inferior sheet metal products. I did buy this manifold, and i'm not advocating it because of that, but because it happened to be one of the better designs out there, period.

I believe you that you can improve or make cool products, i'd just like to see it done on some things that nobody has done yet or really does need improving but that's your choice and seeing your manifold would be cool. I dont mean to sound like i'm ranting but I just find it's a bit unprofessional when demonstrating frank ignorance in that RacerX design when giving an opinion (especially if you're going to lead us to believe you can do better) when you haven't done enough research/reading on it.

If you're determined to make a manifold, then instead of reinventing the wheel, you should be reading up on current designs and R&D for them as much as possible to help yourself (which is what should have been done in the first place before commenting on it). But hey, that's up to you, and I hope we get to see what you can pump out in the future!

And I reread my previous post regarding "you were wrong," I redact that statemet as I misread your post.

Bryan

toayoztan

sentraman":e6njyf9n said:
does that Racer X manifold fit between the firewall and motor?

Depends on what you get, but yes. I ordered one to have it fitted with a phenolic spacer in place.

Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.