EGT location

carfunatic

i think i have seen somewhere on here, the number 3 runner was recommended. like i said i think, but i also dont know why that one. if i had to guess i would say its because 2and 3 see the most heat because they are in the middle and the stock manifold tends to lean them out also.

MrDB

Runner no3 its the runner that sees the leanest afr if no individual injector compensation is setup in ecu and hence highest EGT..

Skip

So runner #3 on the exhaust manifold eh. so next question is ne one have any pics of one installed on a stock exhaust manifold?

MrDB

You just drill and tap a thread same size as EGT probe fitting in top of manifold You can keep heat sheild if you also drill a big hole in it to fit over top of EGT probe. Do this with turbo off as it may cause damage to exhaust wheel as bits of swarf fly by from the drilled hole (unlikely but possible).

underscore

MrDB":2iprfmwj said:
Runner no3 its the runner that sees the leanest afr if no individual injector compensation is setup in ecu and hence highest EGT..

injection compensation as far as holding it open long for more fuel to compensate for the extra air?

jaydog82

Iv also heard that you can drill and tap it on the car with the car running so that the exhaust will push out the little bits of metal.

4rsnduction

Primarily used as a diagnostics tool while tuning,
EGT Probes are worth it when your running 20psi++ and have no water/meth injection.
Epic heat and pressure combined with the natural lean characteristics of the stock intake manifold give #3 the hottest temps.
But if your car is a daily driver i would doubt you get enough free space on the road to build heat up to destructive levels and not get pulled over by the police in the process.
Racing conditions would bring out the higher exhaust temps....but if you were serious about engine tuning and racing you would have individual EGT sensors on each runner....and the stock intake manifold would be in the bin already....so no lean #3 conditions anyways.....