Stock all trac, what to do???

Ironchief

So I just bought a 1990 all trac, lhd, 111,xxx km, nice shape. I'm not exactly sure what upgrades I should do first and in what order to get the most hp. I don't have a lot of money right now but i'm thinking of doing exhaust in a couple months then next summer boost controller and intake. Any suggestions or better strategies?

Boo_Guy

Maintenance, new oil, gear oil, a tune up.

After thats out of the way you want to do breathing mods, better air filter, or remove the stock box completely to add a cone filter.
then a larger down pipe and exhaust.

Then up the boost. 8)

Doesnt have to be done in this exact order but intake/header/exhaust are usually the first things to get done on most cars.

MrDB

As above...

But id use a bettr panel filter in std airbox as less heat transfer...

Plus unless the radiator looks new change it it will save you loads in the future especially if your upping the boost etc.....

Boo_Guy":1062skk1 said:
Maintenance, new oil, gear oil, a tune up.

After thats out of the way you want to do breathing mods, better air filter, or remove the stock box completely to add a cone filter.
then a larger down pipe and exhaust.

Then up the boost. 8)

Doesnt have to be done in this exact order but intake/header/exhaust are usually the first things to get done on most cars.

+1 give it a good service, and check over the cooling and fuel system. You want to make sure everything working properly before you start upping boost/hp

Ironchief

Ok tune up is definately on the menu. I talked to a guy who recommended a motoria exhaust for best bang for your buck, i've never heard of them before. Does anyone know much about them?

celigts

Hey what would you guys suggest for ignition tube up? Like the spark plug wires and what else? Like distributor cap and stuff. Already changed my plugs from apparently grade 8 to grade 6 ngk platinum.

Oh and what is gear oil haha sorry for the dumb question... Or do you mean the the tranny
Oil and rear transfer case oil? And should I go with the oem Toyota oil filter. I heard it has an oil primer in it ?

celigts":7cysbfo9 said:
Hey what would you guys suggest for ignition tube up? Like the spark plug wires and what else? Like distributor cap and stuff. Already changed my plugs from apparently grade 8 to grade 6 ngk platinum.

Oh and what is gear oil haha sorry for the dumb question... Or do you mean the the tranny
Oil and rear transfer case oil? And should I go with the oem Toyota oil filter. I heard it has an oil primer in it ?

Yip spark plugs, ignition leads and dizzy cap.

Would definatly go for a genuine toyota oil filter if its easy enough to get.

celigts

Awesome :) I'll be getting a box of em to save me the time of getting the filters later lol.

Now what leads and distributor work or replacement should I look for? Like brands and specs?

CMS-GT4

Oem has fairly high limits and best quality, so I would just hit Toyota. As for plugs you can get some ngk. mrcontrols has some good info.

celigts

Already have platinum ngk plugs. And if oem is the best for tune up then I'll do that for sure.

How about the distributor cap? Or coil for it. Should or could it be upgraded or be replaced?

celigts

Haha is it more worth it to stay stock then to upgrade?
I know this isn't my thread but for 300whp stock is good enough for everything basically eh?

MrDB

celigts":c8t2e52h said:
Haha is it more worth it to stay stock then to upgrade?
I know this isn't my thread but for 300whp stock is good enough for everything basically eh?

nope 300hp fly will be reliable ish.. for 300hp wheel your looking at aftermarket ecu and bigger injectors turbo etc...

UtahSleeper

Any ECU. AEM, Megasquirt and whatever other options there are. Just something to actually control the fuel and added power.

evo_lucian

General maintenance first. Then I would do mods from cheapest/easiest and work my way up. Intake, mbc, downpipe and exhaust in that specific order. After that, fmic, turbo upgrade and ems. All depends on your goals and budget.