St185 3SGTE turbo debate. CT3-5558 Vs GTX3071R

Candy_GTFOUR

Welcome to all! Now this debate page has been open for personal build info. I am rebuilding and modding my GT-FOUR transmission and diff are already done with flywheel and clutch now i'm jumping into the engine. I'm building her up to be able to take 550whp BUT i will run around 450whp. I called two companies these two are where the debate starts.

Company 1: Compturbo, they suggested me the CT3-5558 with bearing to reduce shift drag and increase spool speed. The kit is also bolt on onto the engine and comes up to $1449.00$ W/O shipping.

Company 2: Garrett, they suggested me the GTX3071R with bearing to reduce shift drag and increase spool speed. The kit will also be bolt on but with a small machined flanged. This one will come up to $1895.00 but only if my ct26 is shipped to them.

So which would be the best choice here? price is a small issue but if quality is entirely different then price will be ignored for the greater good of my car.

monkey8oi

i'm not too familiar with the CT3-5558 but i've heard nothing but good things about the gt30 from garrett.. that's what i'm going to be looking at when i upgrade my turbo next..

Candy_GTFOUR

monkey8oi":3brznx3j said:
i'm not too familiar with the CT3-5558 but i've heard nothing but good things about the gt30 from garrett.. that's what i'm going to be looking at when i upgrade my turbo next..
thanks for your input

Brad_91

If only I knew my turbo's / was building my car up like this right now! One day I will be using threads like this to help me decide on a turbo haha. Good luck on your build no matter which you choose, sounds like it will be a sweet ride!
:)

sentraman

We are using a GT3076R on our Celica and has great spool and makes good power on moderate boost. I myself decided to run GTX3071R w/ 1.06 on my 2L sentra.

Candy_GTFOUR

Brad_91":wz5u8dlq said:
If only I knew my turbo's / was building my car up like this right now! One day I will be using threads like this to help me decide on a turbo haha. Good luck on your build no matter which you choose, sounds like it will be a sweet ride!
:)
careful what you wish for buddy XD i just took the engine out and am taking it apart i'm missing a trans mission bolt to link it to the engine also missing a stiffener bracket and the flywheel cover... and my four engine mounts are dead... so pissed and disappointed. ALTHOUGH i must thank you for wishing me good luck because i'll greatly need it haha. I will be posting up a thread about the whole overhaul of this year including info and the repairs of last year with a glimpse of whats to come soon.

Candy_GTFOUR

concealer404: Its an option for the turbo i can choose to have it bolt on. I rather bolt on to have less shit to deal with and truthfully the system itself is fine just the turbo is dieing.

Mafix: Well if none of the above is ideal for you what would you suggest, why and with what references?

concealer404

Candy_GTFOUR":qnsnv4k1 said:
concealer404: Its an option for the turbo i can choose to have it bolt on. I rather bolt on to have less shit to deal with and truthfully the system itself is fine just the turbo is dieing.

Mafix: Well if none of the above is ideal for you what would you suggest, why and with what references?

If it's all fine and the turbo is just dying, put another stock one on there.

If you're going to truly upgrade and are looking into serious turbos, the number one rule is "Get away from bullshit proprietary Toyota flanges."

Candy_GTFOUR

concealer404":2jtgvdk8 said:
Candy_GTFOUR":2jtgvdk8 said:

If you're going to truly upgrade and are looking into serious turbos, the number one rule is "Get away from bullshit proprietary Toyota flanges."
so what would you suggest? seeing as how i am going for 450 at the wheels

concealer404

Candy_GTFOUR":v60p1d0j said:
concealer404":v60p1d0j said:
Candy_GTFOUR":v60p1d0j said:

Not real sure to be honest, i'm rusty on my 3sgte turbo sizing. Something with probably a divided T4 flange, though.

Candy_GTFOUR

concealer404":3mtzk6zo said:
Candy_GTFOUR":3mtzk6zo said:

Not real sure to be honest, i'm rusty on my 3sgte turbo sizing. Something with probably a divided T4 flange, though.
so i should change my exhaust manifold too i guess

concealer404

Candy_GTFOUR":2o9kyn1e said:
concealer404":2o9kyn1e said:
Candy_GTFOUR":2o9kyn1e said:

That would be advisable. 450whp isn't easy. There's a lot of things you should probably change.

Candy_GTFOUR

concealer404":lxsdc5yk said:
Candy_GTFOUR":lxsdc5yk said:
concealer404":lxsdc5yk said:

That would be advisable. 450whp isn't easy. There's a lot of things you should probably change.
I've been talking with a buddy who has an insanely powerful st165 and suggested new cams modded, forged pistons, ct3 5558, wta intercooler, fuel rail fuel pump and injector upgrades, high flow straight intake, stage 3 clutch, upped CPu, arp head studs new modded valves and valve seats 2.5 inch high flow exhaust with gutted cat, metal head gasket, electronic boost controller, bbk, and custom suspension.

does that seem reasonable?

concealer404

Relatively, though some weird terms, some things that aren't really necessary, others that have been left off, and some things that will make things easier.

Here's a couple points:

1) 3" exhaust, no cat.
2) While you CAN make the power you're looking for on stock manifolds... why would you?
3) Get your read on, buddy, you've got a lot of learning to do. :)

Candy_GTFOUR

concealer404":2p4r1743 said:
Relatively, though some weird terms, some things that aren't really necessary, others that have been left off, and some things that will make things easier.

Here's a couple points:

1) 3" exhaust, no cat.
2) While you CAN make the power you're looking for on stock manifolds... why would you?
I know i need to get my read on only issue is where to get my read on and can i trust everything i do read? and is 450whp still possibly reliable or just gonna be a box of issues?

concealer404

Candy_GTFOUR":ly14maxx said:
concealer404":ly14maxx said:

Here's a couple points:

1) 3" exhaust, no cat.
I know i need to get my read on only issue is where to get my read on and can i trust everything i do read? and is 450whp still possibly reliable or just gonna be a box of issues?

Well, once you get comfortable with the subject, you can determine what is BS and what isn't. Also helps when you see many people saying the same thing usually. :)

450whp can be reliable. It really depends how well it's set up and tuned.

Candy_GTFOUR

concealer404":1l9mibsg said:
Candy_GTFOUR":1l9mibsg said:
concealer404":1l9mibsg said:

Here's a couple points:

1) 3" exhaust, no cat.

Well, once you get comfortable with the subject, you can determine what is BS and what isn't. Also helps when you see many people saying the same thing usually. :)

450whp can be reliable. It really depends how well it's set up and tuned.
you seem to have a good knowledge of this :p mind if i pick your brain a bit? go check out my project thread tell em what you think so far on what i've done. if you want you can pm me info or just message me there. i'm in a planning phase now seeing as how my shop closed down and finding a job is hell >.<