Advice on turbo upgrade.

ZeroDrift

Hello all!

I've sent off my spare CT26 turbo for a rebuild and am planning to get an upgrade at the same time. I'm not new to turbo cars by any stretch and am honestly not seeking to make this car a monster. Here are the goals for the time being: Reliable operation, bolt on turbo (ie, no changing oil lines or anything), somewhere in the vicinity of 250whp. I'd like to keep lag down as my fiance's Subaru is laggy (and powerful) enough.

What I'm planning to do short term: Gut the clogged catalytic converters. Install and tune a Hydra 2.7ecu w/ E85 capabilities.
Long term plans: Install ST205 tranny w/ better clutch. Fabricate custom 2.5" stainless exhaust from turbo back. Higher flow fuel system in preparation for a little more power?

Turbo upgrades that I have available:
T04E 60-1
T04E 60 trim
T04E 57 trim
T04E 50 trim
T04E 46 trim
T04B H-3
T04B V trim
Toyota CT26 Supra
GT28 "62 trim" AKA disco

I've been leaning towards the 50 trim as its close to the Supra CT26 turbo; however I'm not sure if this is the right choice. If you have any constructive council I'd be greatly appreciative!

tubasteve

If your taking of upgrading the ct26:

When i had mine rebuilt there was a "too big" issue. Jamie said the mr2 guys he does it for had issues with a certain size being unstable as far as bigger.

I currently have a 50 trim for 2 years, no problem holding 17-19@times.

Talk to the rebuilder, hopefully he has made a few of these to offer his own advise.

I used turbo techniques in San Bernardino. Quick and reliable.
-jr

ZeroDrift

Thanks! I've used this company a number of times in the past with great success. They have been around for a while. The company name is BNR Supercars: http://bnrsupercars.com/

They advised the 50 trim is a good path to go with as it leaves some head room. Just hearing some controversy about this trim so I thought I'd ask around.

concealer404

50trim should be fine in a Celica CT. Don't know that i would go any farther, bigger than that is usually reserved for the Supra CTs, and even they tend to argue about going above 50.

ZeroDrift

As it turns out the turbo I have sent off for service is a Supra CT26 turbo. Are there any of these turbochargers that have a ceramic exhaust wheel? The owner only looked at the turbo briefly and mentioned that the exhaust wheel may be ceramic. Also, is there anything needed to fit this turbo to my ST165? I know there is a parts list for the newer ST185.

Thank you very much! Looking for a quick reply if at all possible!

concealer404

ZeroDrift":3f672tbz said:
As it turns out the turbo I have sent off for service is a Supra CT26 turbo. Are there any of these turbochargers that have a ceramic exhaust wheel? The owner only looked at the turbo briefly and mentioned that the exhaust wheel may be ceramic. Also, is there anything needed to fit this turbo to my ST165? I know there is a parts list for the newer ST185.

Thank you very much! Looking for a quick reply if at all possible!

I believe the Supra CT is largely bolt on for the 165. Both are single entry.

ZeroDrift

Is there any difference between the oil/coolant fittings or any need to clock the turbo?

Ok, I believe I found the answer to my own question. Searched around and found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42337&hilit=ST165+Supra

So the turbo is a bolt up affair, but in order to fit properly the compressor needs to be clocked. This renders the stock wastegate actuator mounting arm useless. Asides from making a bracket this should be a simple order!

Now I just need to verify if the exhaust impeller is ceramic and if I need to upgrade this turbo or just have it rebuilt, ported and ceramic coated! :D

concealer404

ZeroDrift":15yv4znz said:
Is there any difference between the oil/coolant fittings or any need to clock the turbo?

Ok, I believe I found the answer to my own question. Searched around and found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42337&hilit=ST165+Supra

So the turbo is a bolt up affair, but in order to fit properly the compressor needs to be clocked. This renders the stock wastegate actuator mounting arm useless. Asides from making a bracket this should be a simple order!

Now I just need to verify if the exhaust impeller is ceramic and if I need to upgrade this turbo or just have it rebuilt, ported and ceramic coated! :D

If it's a Supra CT, chances are it's a metal wheel. I know mine is.

ZeroDrift

Ok, I'm going through with this overhaul. At first was thinking of the 50 trim, but am thinking of getting the GT28 trim. Max power is going to be less than the 50 trim, but should aid in spool-up from what I've been told.

toyokid

ZeroDrift":g2dcrf5g said:
Ok, I'm going through with this overhaul. At first was thinking of the 50 trim, but am thinking of getting the GT28 trim. Max power is going to be less than the 50 trim, but should aid in spool-up from what I've been told.

The GT28 is not bolt on
but offers more potential.

A 50 trim on a CT26 is plenty big enough
more is a waste and will be laggy.

I use a 48 trim Garrett "T04"? wheel on my CT26
same size as the standard ST205 turbo
and she makes a reliable 340bhp at 1.3 bar on my ST205.

Stephen

ZeroDrift

Thanks for the update!

I have been awfully indecisive with this turbo upgrade. The final decision was for the EVO16G turbine, which is only slightly larger than the stock Supra CT26. This should flow somewhere in the vicinity of 46#'s and should keep lag in check.

Now I need to clock the turbo and sort out the wastegate bracket!

Does anyone have a source for the gasket between the exhaust manifold and head, as well as the downpipe to turbo? Toyota discontinued these gaskets and I'm not having any luck for a quality replacement gasket.