Berk DP install

woot woot

Planning to do this over my school break and have found that i have to bend the ac lines and the oil dip stick.Is this correct and do i have to do anything else for the car as it is a JDM model with the temp sensor in the DP which i have been told i can just remove as it does nothing. Also how would i bend ac lines as i am not sure.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

4rsnduction

If your going to "bend the dipstick" dont actually bent the dipstick but rather the sheath it goes into, this is what gives the sticks direction.
A/C lines can be made by any shop that does high pressure hoses if their halfway competent, dont try and bend them yourself its just gonna end in a broken pipe and no gas in your A/C system

2_Liter_Turbo

If you haven't bought it yet, I'd get a different DP. If you already did, the install is easy. Take a 1/4" socket extension, put it in the dipstick tube hole and bend it to the left until out of the way. The dipstick you'll have to stick in a vise and bend it some to make it clear the DP. It's kind of a pain to get in and out, but not the end of the world. You barely have to bend the A/C lines, takes about 2 seconds. You'll see exactly what's needed when you get it installed.

woot woot

Thanks for the help. Yeh i already bought it. Just was worried about the ac lines more than anything but my ac does not work so not sure if such a huge problem, but should be able to do it.

Thanks again

underscore

Actually just a pulley, the alternator belt tensioner pulley off any older Toyota (mine is off a Tercel IIRC) without AC (so it has grooves) and an alternator belt for a 3SGE without AC. Swap the pulley on your alternator bracket, unbolt the lines from the compressor, unplug the wires and unbolt the compressor itself. Then look in amazement at just how much weight you've remove from your front end.

underscore

And an extra couple minutes to remove a useless hunk of metal while you're already in the area. I found it a lot easier to get my stock dp off once the ac was gone.

carfunatic

i dropped my A/C for the install as well.... made things much easier. OP, you will love it. i got mine from the group buy like a year ago and never looked back. still in great shape, coating has not even thought about flaking or anything. the hardest part about the install is the removing the old DP. the brackets that hold it to the block are GIANT PINTArses lol i had to move a bunch of stuff out of the way to break them loose, since i was doing it in my garage with no air tools. i also removed my radiator just as a CYA so i didnt put a hole through it. much easier to take 3 mins to pull the radiator then to have to buy a new one. i dont remember moving the dipstick at all, it cleared from what i remember, same with the A/C lines when i mounted my compressor back up. my install was on a JDM 94 WRC if that helps, so you can compare.

@ 2_Liter_Turbo..... idk why you would say for him to buy a different one. i have yet to see a better DP for a 3S. its not like a constantly research them tho lol mine is great, all welds are good quality, the heat coating is perfect, fitment was outstanding (except for that damn bracket that it comes with, took forever to figure out how it fit and to where lol) and it was for a bang up price. saved $100 from the normal price AND got is shipped to Japan!!! was pretty stocked about the free t-shirt i got too lol i just had to wear it when i did the install haha

OP, you got it, install it, LOVE IT!!!!! lol oh and that temp sensor in the DP is just to let the ECU know when there is a problem with the cat that is built into the DP..... no cat, no issue, no need for sensor, it doesnt even through a light or anything so no problem at all. 8)

woot woot

Awesome thanks for the help. I have previously tried to remove my dump pipe about two years ago and took out the alt, radiator and got to the last three bolts or so and rounded a bolt on the front pipe above the engine cross member. I will need to get it removed before hand. Can i take off the cross mount with out dropping more stuff? I rage quit after that happened and put it all back together after raging for another month about it. Did the job on a friends Gt4 and found that his new dump pipe hit the compressor and could not be put on unless the manifold was removed. Will i have to do this for the Berk as his was a ebay item.

Again thanks for the info

2_Liter_Turbo

carfunatic":31fdam1r said:
@ 2_Liter_Turbo..... idk why you would say for him to buy a different one. i have yet to see a better DP for a 3S. its not like a constantly research them tho lol mine is great, all welds are good quality, the heat coating is perfect, fitment was outstanding (except for that damn bracket that it comes with, took forever to figure out how it fit and to where lol) and it was for a bang up price. saved $100 from the normal price AND got is shipped to Japan!!! was pretty stocked about the free t-shirt i got too lol i just had to wear it when i did the install haha

Read my review of the Berk DP, and you'll understand why I have the opinion that I do:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44435b

woot woot

I read your review which i did not know that the berk were still ebay items re branded. I chose it over the Ko racing due to all the reviews. Ohh well cannot really do much now. It looks okay. Another question i need to change the hose from hell while i am doing this and have bought a new hose from Toyota and cannot figure out how the clamps on it works. Does it simply snap into place when pushed on to the metal pipes? Or do i have to do something else?

Again thanks for the info. Its i bit hard to get with these cars.