Tuner/mechanic in Utah

JohnNK

I am looking for a good tuner/mechanic in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. I had my turbo rebuilt by the shop that does my Subaru's and there are still performance issues. I would like another diagnostic opinion.
Thanks!

UtahSleeper

What was thier reason for saying it needed a rebuild?

Not sure of any decent shops. May want to ask on celicatech since there are a few mr2 owners there. Or u-moc.

JohnNK

Should have mentioned this is for my 1988 ST165 Celica. I took the car in because of dramatic fuel cut and apparent boost loss. It did run better after the turbo rebuild, but it still seems to lack power. It came with a manual boost gauge and I have the boost set to 12. Any other recommendations? Thanks.

UtahSleeper

The reason I recommended those sites is I know there are a few people in utah that have a 3sgte in thier MR2, so if someone can work on one, they can work on the other :)

Does your trac hit 12 when boosting? Any smoke? All other maintenance taken care of?

Do you work on the car at all or will it all be done through a mechanic?

If you can do a compression test, I would almost consider starting there just to verify engine health.

JohnNK

I have done most of the initial maintenance work on the car: new strut mounts, plugs, wires etc... The turbo is somewhat intimidating.
I agree that a compression test is a good idea. I am also planning on checking the fuel sending unit and the fuel pump. The previous owner had rescued the car from a salvage yard and he mentioned having to clean out the fuel tank a couple of times. I would appreciate any more ideas.

UtahSleeper

Are you losing power in the upper RPM's? Maybe the TVIS or the vacuum lines associated with it.

I assume no oil in the distributor cap, correct?

When is it fuel cutting? Any other symptoms? Idles well? From stop acceleration good? Just trying to get ideas.