ST185 conversion to ST205

Overtriped

Anyway :eek:fftopic:

How much can my ct26 turbo boost?
I will def. be using it .
SC was a pipe dream, my pockets arnt that deep! (yet)

CMS-GT4

Does your 3rd gen engine not have a ct20? You may need to fully assess what you have going on before wasting time on pipe dreams.

Overtriped

Alright, that's good to know. Sorry, I dont know everything about my car. That's why I'm here. I've got a heap of parts And
I'm trying to study b4 I take it all apart ya know?

CMS-GT4

This is a great place to learn. I think I was worse than you when I joined 13 years ago. I was trying to come up with things like use a SC from a aw11 and a ct26.
So did you 3rd gen come with a turbo? If so, then that makes things better. If you plan on using the turbo from the 2nd gen, then that is a step backwards.

Overtriped

I getting my engine/tranny/ECU hopefully this week. My 2nd gen has an upgraded turbo I believe. Hopefully my garage has enough ceiling clearance to get the engine out. I don't have a carlift so I'm trying To figure out how to lift the car over the motor/tranny. I think it shouldn't be too bad. My friend who's helping me and I built a lifted wrangler In small garage so this should have enough Clearance. Gonna start pulling the Motor this week. I'll post up my progress.

CMS-GT4

Take the engine out from the bottom instead. Just lower it onto a dolly with the gearbox and roll it out.

Overtriped

Gonna, just trying to think how to lift the body up. Floor Jacks with blocking? Can't really use a chain fall- don't want to break the rafters in the garage. Maybe I'll get some huge jack stands. I dunno yet.

4rsnduction

CMS-GT4":1w2aj8sp said:
Take the engine out from the bottom instead. Just lower it onto a dolly with the gearbox and roll it out.
+1 to that....easiest way once u figure out what to use to raise the car
Some people use the engine hoist to raise the front end by attaching it to the bumper reinforcement bar (not the RC one, its weak)
There are pictures floating around on the internet of this process being done.
Otherwise a car hoist would be the way to go about it.....or if your a backyard mechanic you could do it with a forklift :p

CMS-GT4

4rsnduction":1w2q5m7l said:
Otherwise a car hoist would be the way to go about it.....or if your a backyard mechanic you could do it with a forklift :p

Ahem, backyard mechanics would use a tree and a chain. :p

OutToWinPAHC

Wait are you thinking about ditching the ATW for the front mount? or using them at the same time. The top mount ATW with a properly sized turbo will be more effective and have less boost pressure drop which will allow for more power, and faster response. The front mount looks big, do you know the core thickness and inlet outlet sizes?

I am on the tail end of saving my ST185 and I have been tossing the idea of front mount VS TOP. For now I am using a CT26 with a billet Garrett GTX compressor wheel and will use the top mount with a fan. If it does not cool effectivly I will be considering ATW but it will be a custom unit built from scratch.

As for motors you say rebuilt VS a used. I been doing high performance cars for a long time and the term rebuilt is loosely used and often farse. Unless you have the paperwork, blue printing or receipts it's hard to say what you have. If you have those I would use that motor and sort the issues you have. I picked up a R33 with a fully built and blue printed motor last year and it was a wiring mess and didn't run. A new harness, time, and schematics I turned a 20K trade into a 40K car. Just keep that in mind.

tw2

+1 for the engine out the bottom. I also just used my engine hoist around the bumper support. I didn't have a dolly though. I used the engine hoist to roll the car out from on top of the engine.... very risky procedure.

Overtriped

Was trying to find the best solution for brakes. Thought about Toyota pickup 4pots, 205, Brembos
From a porsche, supra brakes, highlander brakes. A lot of options.
I think I've decided to go with these though , ( after my car runs
And looks clean)
yhst-44391461728451_2226_2655295

What do you guys got?

Overtriped

185022_282777395166910_1523711987_n.jpg

Got my tools moved in and cleaned the garage im Renting. Took her out for the last drive before surgery, jogging lady screaming at me "SLOW DOWN" *shakes fist* I only acellerated as fast as it could In 1st and 2nd- was going the speed limit, it's just REALLY loud! Haha!!

Overtriped

After many hours hard at work in the garage we now have the motor/tranny/wiring harness out of the car. Thanks to this forum I was able to do this rather smoothly! I bought that massive lift, it worked really well with a couple chains and shackles. Also got some 17x7 scion TC wheels. Stripped out my rear interior. Now I'm cleaning the engine bay and waiting for my used 205 setup to arrive. Need a New PS system.

EAD514E1-1F60-4B4E-A0FE-EC7221C08F21-1644-000002DDF735502D_zps6bfa7fec.jpg
7A8AB31E-FB86-4C7E-A615-E9688384EFF8-1644-000002DE0E5C1B7B_zps84d95893.jpg
37F9DC66-227E-4411-A754-908B7B506E39-1644-000002DE201E85F6_zpsd1b8315d.jpg
6CF11AFB-7371-4DD4-9E13-65EF6FBACFE5-1644-000002DE147485A4_zpse163b471.jpg
A0E4B94B-64CD-421D-AA2C-7D175A55E86A-1644-000002DE01E9DC8B_zpsf50714b7.jpg
DE37BEB8-CDB7-4FB6-85AB-2E44713B39A3-1644-000002DE08856477_zps88f009a7.jpg

Overtriped

Haha, bought that on Craigslist and had it delivered. I had no clue that it was going to be that large until the guy showed up with it. It had about a half inch of clearance to get in to the garage lol. Worked great though!!
I measured my IC core and its 3x12x24 (this is just the coil size not including both headers) the inlet/outlet size is 2 inch. Any ideas what this beast will handle?

tw2

That intercooler will be fine, that should cool whatever you throw at it.

Yeah that hoist is huge. Tucking it neatly away when your finished with it might be an issue :lol:

tw2

joedirt.jpg

Shit'll buff out.

Sorry to see that, I have seen this happen before espcecially you guys who live in areas they salt the roads.