GEN4 3SGTE

krytios

Has anyone swapped a GEN4 Caldina motor into their car? Is it cost prohibitive? I'm also searching past posts looking for info. Just curious if anyone has.

My plan is a ten second daily driver that looks stock. I already have an eleven second celica and a ten second one, and if I can do it with rwd I'm sure I can do it with better traction.

lumbercis

I have a Caldina swap. It's got some advantages and some disadvantages. If you decide to swap in a gen4, get a professional (Dr Tweak or mr220v on mr2oc) to do the wiring harness and it'll be more or less a plug and play swap.

Some things to consider:
-the block is likely stronger than a gen3 block, but the rods are weaker (same rods as the NA 3sge beams motor), so you'll need to build it if you want to push a lot of power. A gen 2 or 3 will go farther on the stock block.
-you'll lose your speedometer if you use a gen4 manual trans because it doesn't have the driven gear for a mechanical speed sensor. Use your original trans or a gen3 trans.

If I had to do it over again I'd probably just do a gen3 swap and put in a built 5s block if I wanted to push big power.

Then again, it is pretty smooth so maybe if I got back in a gen2 or 3 car I'd hate it. :smokes:

built caldina is the way to go as you want to be a 10 sec daily. i have a built caldina running in my celica but it is only fwd :(