Engine build

psipwrd

I recently blew a head gasket and decided to do a rebuild. The plan is to go with forged internals and basic bolt-ons for now. Once I'm back in the US, the goal is about 400awhp .

The catch is I don't want to deal with stand-alone engine management or custom tuning while in Italy.

Here's what's on the car:
3" downpipe
boost gauge
mbc

Here's what I ordered for the build so far:
cometic top/bottom gasket kit
aisin oil and water pump
timing belt
radiator
thermostat
ACT HD clutch

And what I'm looking at:
cp pistons/eagle rods
3" exhaust
ARP head studs
silicone radiator hoses
turbo rebuild

What else would you guys recommend for the build?

gearhead313

Its going to be very difficult to get a reliable system functioning @ 400awhp with stock yota controls. I'd seriously consider some sort of alternative...

psipwrd

Guys, you make me feel like a noob! :rofl:

I don't want to do the 400hp and stand-alone in italy, just reliable built block!

Once back in the US, I'll upgrade the turbo, fueling, and engine management.

4rsnduction

If your just rebuilding then concentrate on the bottom end for reliability and the head for extra power.
- Head gasket (1.8mm or thicker is a good option)
- Pistons
- Rods (X-beam if you can find them)
- Steel backed bearings
- Crank work if you want that extra little bit (shot peen - knife edge)
- Oil pump (oil pump can be modified by a proper engine builder, this will allow for more pressure at idle, something that is needed with an external cooler and relocated oil filter)

underscore

4rsnduction":1ddvsigm said:
- Oil pump (oil pump can be modified by a proper engine builder, this will allow for more pressure at idle, something that is needed with an external cooler and relocated oil filter)

As someone found in another thread, you can use one off a newer 5SFE (can't remember the exact years) to get a higher pressure pump.

psipwrd

I got my estimate today and the rebuild is not the way to go. I got quoted $4300 for labor and $1000 tax! $5300 for labor! That's not including the $$$$ spent, and $$$$ for forged internals, valves, headstuds and rod bearings, and other odds and ends like hoses.

A quick search pulled up a few engines from $1000-1800. May I ask where everyone's getting their engines from?

Also, I read through the ST205 engine/ecu into ST185 thread. Is this something I should ask of an italian mechanic with language a barrier?