AFM after intercooler ??st185

partsmax

i am interesting of relocated my afm after the intercooler in my st185 ; i saw afm in intercooler pipe in some mazda and run fine
has anyone tried this?
and what are the benefit and problems in this setup?

sorry for my english im from latin america panama

UtahSleeper

I think there are too main issues. One, our AFM SUCKS!!! Two, the size of it makes locations limited, plus you would have to extend the wiring. Why do you want to do this?

4rsnduction

The AFM body is also home to the IAT sensor and that thing likes to see fresh cool air not hot compressed air.
Post turbo is ludicrous....That's not what it was designed for, that's not how it works.

brutekiller787

And you didnt read because he said post intercooler. I think rather than anything, it would not be designed to be leak proof from front to back. It is not design for pressure to go through it.

yoshimitsuspeed

Your AFM measures volume of air. After the turbo volume is reduced as pressure is increased. Put your AFM anywhere after the turbo and it will measure much less air passing through it causing the car to run very lean. If the car was designed to run that way it would work. If someone had aftermarket engine management or was able to tweak the system while monitoring things like AFRs it has been made to work but there is really no good reason to try. Without the right tools to monitor everything it would just be very dangerous.

Meurz

HKS pushed 400 ps through it back in the day. Quick phone pic from Hyper Rev 30:

v7bj3s.jpg

Mafix

it is far more common on mercs and porsche back in the day. the issue is the mapping in the stock ecu will be very very wrong. so you'd need an interceptor or standalone. at that point you shouldn't need the afm.