turbo blankets?

I have a KO Racing T3/T4 turbo kit and was wondering if anyone has ever installed a turbo blanket. There is not much room between the raditior and the compressor housing and that makes me think that this wondn't fit.

GT4_DRED

94 MR2 Turbo":zyuls4p2 said:
I have a KO Racing T3/T4 turbo kit and was wondering if anyone has ever installed a turbo blanket. There is not much room between the radiator and the compressor housing and that makes me think that this wonldn't fit.
Even if you had to squeeze the blanket between the radiator and housing to make it fit, it would be better than not running one that close to the radiator. May have to pull the radiator, put on the blanket, then re-install the radiator; maybe use a manila envelope between the blanket and radiator as you slide it in place? Just thinking out loud, but I personally would do it :)

polm

I have to vouch for these, they really work well. I have a silicon hose that passes on top of the manifold and it kept breaking because of the heat. It was a reinforced one but still. So I bought one from ptp (the best ones AFAIK) and wow! I'm stunned at how great it works. I can put my hand on the blanket and not get burnt even after some spirited driving for an hour. It's great. This solved my hose problem. Buy one, you won't regret it! :)

NZgt4

I have a friend with a turbo Altezza and he had a turbo beanie/ blanket on it but his exhaust was poorly made and the dump pipe didn't quite match up to the turbo, so under boost there was an exhaust leak which managed to set the beanie on fire which pretty much wasted up his engine bay. I've also heard of people having a tiny oil leak from the turbo oil lines which then eventually soaked the beanie in oil and it caught fire. Obviously if your car is in good running order then fingers crossed nothing will go up in flames. I did make a heat shield out of some think aluminium the was similar shaped to the stock one but it curved further around the turbo so the radiator didn't get hot from the turbo. Just my 2 cents

Hotrodhendrix

I have a blanket on mine. One of the cheaper ebay blankets that does not cover the sides. Performance 0 gains. Direct heat when working on a running motor decrease but the CS hood really does a good job of engine bay temps. The real and only reason I got mine.. Pretty up the bay :D

~James