st205 Question

MrMcQuacker

Hello guys, I have read somewhere that 3gen 3sgte came with a MHG. awesome!.

I just finished up a 3" exhaust and was given a AEM wideband for my bday :).
My question is, I have a Slightly upgraded turbo, Its a ct26 with a bigger wheel, I was told by the shop they they put in a 58-59 trim wheel. And they bored out the intake side of my turbo quit a bit.

Here is my question. 3" exhaust, Bigger turbo, Arp Head studs, Wideband. By adding the Arp head studs in replacing the factory ones and leaving the stock gasket. By torquing the head down from 37Ft torque to now 65Ft. Will that suffice with my goal of around 17 psi daily/reliable as long as my afr's are within good range?

Also since I am going to have arp and not worry to much on blowing the head gasket. What is the most amount of PSI I can push on 3gen 540cc injectors before its a little 2 maxed.

phattyduck

What ECU is running the engine?

Assuming you have the ST205 ECU to go along with the motor, unless you go to a standalone ECU, you can't max out the injectors on a 3rd gen motor. (the ECU won't do it)

You can't use a fuel cut defender due to the speed density style factory ECU... An aftermarket ECU will allow you to do that, but you might still run out of turbo before you run out of injectors.

Set your boost at 17psi (safe even on a stock 3rd gen with good fuel) and check those AFRs to make sure things are still good.

-Charlie

MrMcQuacker

Cool Thanks charlie :). I would have asked you personally from phone call but did not want to interrupt you from work. Sweet. Hey charlie would you happen to know where 17psi 3" exhaust puts us at awhp? Also I took out a e46 m3 on the freeway last night :) o yea

phattyduck

I have seen it in the 220-240whp range (lower end for alltracs, higher for MR2s...). This all just reminds me that I need to get my boost controller installed. Then add meth injection for some octane, and maybe dyno it to see where the cars at... :D

-Charlie

MrMcQuacker

MAN! 220ishawhp Makes me SAD! O well give or take a few more months hopefully. Ill be getting the AEM EMS 4 and tune my car :). I really wanna just hit the 300awhp range. That's my goal for a while. I guess there is no way on getting 300awhp with the stock ecu?

aus jd 2703

216awhp gen 3 motor ecu and tmic, stock exhaust but straight intake. 17psi for over 2 years with mls hg and arp studs.
track days, drag racing, thrash it daily your pretty safe on 98 octane gas.
suspect 300awhp will need a turbo

MrMcQuacker

I've seen people hit close to about 300 awhp with ct27 and ct20b. So prob not. Also 98 octane here is pretty unrealistic.

quieter

aus jd 2703":20ldcyg1 said:
Steel wheel maybe? But their rare
Still needs a ecu intercooler exhaust.

st205 intercoolers can take up to 400hp with a good pump and heat exhanger. no need to change it but yeah like you said ideally 3 inch exhaust for the turbo to push 17+ psi.

phattyduck

MrMcQuacker":3mc2d7bo said:
I've seen people hit close to about 300 awhp with ct27 and ct20b. So prob not. Also 98 octane here is pretty unrealistic.
Getting close to 300awhp is possible with other supporting mods. That's right at the limit of the CT20b (and CT27) though.

As for 98 octane -that's about equivalent to 93-94 octane in the states... it is measured using a different system in the rest of the world.

-Charlie

underscore

phattyduck":uzfhdw1x said:
Getting close to 300awhp is possible with other supporting mods. That's right at the limit of the CT20b (and CT27) though.

What kind of supporting mods? I'm assuming a standalone would be needed?

MrMcQuacker

Well I kinda want to know for those who have reached 300awhp. What did you have to do in order to get there? As simple as possible. Keeping stock turbo or ct27.

brutekiller787

I mean you have a wideband. Straight intake is cheap, exhaust is the biggest thing you would need. If it were my car I would keep turning the boost up until either I saw a big drop in boost pressure near redline, meaning the turbo is becoming inefficient, or until I heard knock or saw unsafe >12.5:1 afr's under boost.

Of course you would need some sort of fcd-like thing or a reflash of the ecu to raise or eliminate the boost cut