koracing?

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Re: koracing?

Postby mickeyfinn » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:38 pm

That does sound interesting. I've never heard of those guys (Nixspeed).

I know KO Racing has been around a long time, has good quality products, and I haven't heard any negative speak about them.
I've emailed Kris Osheim a few times, and bought products from him. He's always been great, and responsive.

He speaks highly of the Precision 5130 turbo when I asked his recommendation .

On his product page, he says this: "The 5130 we are seeing some of the fastest spool times ever in a turbo capable of 400+whp (19psi at 3100rpm in 5th gear on the highway -- just stab the throttle and go, no downshifting)! The 5130 is a larger turbo that is capable of GT28 like spool."
http://www.koracing.net/viewproduct.php?folder=11&product=1209

I'm also quite interested in the KO street brawler because it will allow me to change my ST165 Intercooler to an ST205. (badly needed).
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
mickeyfinn
Club Member

Postby underscore » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:00 pm

I like the Nixspeed idea of getting more modern tech in there without having to change the intercooler/exhaust/EMS. If they could supply or at least give you a list of the parts needed to hook up the oil/water lines that would be even better. I always said I wanted to stick to the stock RC turbo but if I can get more low end and have it fully reversable I'm pretty tempted.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby zaluss » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:04 pm

underscore wrote:I like the Nixspeed idea of getting more modern tech in there without having to change the intercooler/exhaust/EMS. If they could supply or at least give you a list of the parts needed to hook up the oil/water lines that would be even better. I always said I wanted to stick to the stock RC turbo but if I can get more low end and have it fully reversable I'm pretty tempted.

Yes a list or if they could add all the required lines would be great.

I like the Street Brawler kit because it's all inclusive but I don't know how the performance is between the Precision and Garrett units. Ultimately I would be looking for better low end response (similiar to my Focus RS) instead of a big punch like I get currently at the higher rev range.
zaluss
Club Member

Postby mickeyfinn » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:48 pm

zaluss wrote:Ultimately I would be looking for better low end response (similiar to my Focus RS) instead of a big punch like I get currently at the higher rev range.

Agree. I want the same.

Do you know which Garrett turbo you would get in the Nix offerings? What are the differences, anyone know?

Not opposed to getting a Garrett, I was looking at the Precision turbo on Kris's recommendation. That's why I'm wondering how the Precision compares to Garrett.

I do find it odd that I can't find a compressor map of the Precision. Something Garrett has for every turbo.

If I remember, I figured I'd need 38 lbs/min, and pressure ration of 2.5
Which the GTX2867R GEN II seems right there.

GTX2867R GEN II.JPG
mickeyfinn
Club Member

Postby mickeyfinn » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:02 pm

After watching this video, beginning at 13:00 explains why an external waste gate may be more desirable for better control.
Another reason I was looking at the street brawler setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIL_XvlYTE
mickeyfinn
Club Member

Postby autojumbled » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:44 am

I had always assumed that if I wanted a bolt-on turbo option I should be looking at the S148 https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/turbo-technics-s148-560
Having said that, NixSpeed's CTX28 looks very interesting for retaining street-use characteristics and getting the boost coming on at lower revs. I wonder how they compare?

(I'm in UK BTW so S148 is obvs more easily available to me than NixSpeed's stuff)
autojumbled
Club Member

Postby mickeyfinn » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:41 pm

Sounds like that S148 is a pretty good option as well...
mickeyfinn
Club Member

Postby mickeyfinn » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:44 pm

I came across this thread over on MR2OC on the street brawler:
https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/ko-racing-street-brawler-t3-t4-48-trim-billet-wheel.682255/
mickeyfinn
Club Member

Postby 5thgenbliss » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:26 am

Since Nixspeed CTX turbo options were mentioned here, I chatted with them via FB msgr last week. Here's a snippet.

Nixspeed reply:

"Hello, glad to hear the turbo is spreading. There are several options above the gt2860. We have the gtx2860, gtx2863, gtx2867, then there is the gtx2860 and 2867 gen 2.

The best option is the Xona 5757. In testing all of the Garrett stuff is almost identical and turbine wheel limited. They just don't flow but we did get 330whp max out of them. The Xona has the same quick spool and has made 400whp on lower boost and should be making 500whp soon. No downside and room to grow.

I run them (CTX28 Garretts) on stock ecus all the time. The 2nd gens run rich with the ct26 so this just leans them out a tad but they end up still rich. On the 4th gen you need to keep the boost under 17psi on stock ecu as they run leaner and will get in a danger zone. The Xona have a lot of really nice features the Garrett doesn't have. Billet stainless chra, built in oil filter and restrictor, ultra high flow turbine wheel, along with billet compressor wheel, ball bearing, and double oil seal like the Garrett's have."

Good to see more options for our 3SGTEs. Xona is a partnership between TiAL and I forget what turbo company.
Boosting with the '92 GT-Four RC
5thgenbliss
Club Member

Postby zaluss » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:29 pm

Good stuff. The Xona is compelling though I think a little more than I need so the Garrett's are absolutely on my short list.

Did you find out whether or not they can supply all the required fittings for all-in-one kit? Otherwise I'll reach out.
zaluss
Club Member

Postby mickeyfinn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:46 pm

Good info. Thanks for Posting!

I wish there was more data from these lesser known companies like Xona and Precision. I can easily get behind the idea that a big company like Garrett can get fat, dumb, and lazy and may not have the best options. But they do have good documentation on their products (assuming they actually perform what's written down).

If I'm about to spend ~$2 - 3k on a turbo setup, I'd like to be dang sure I'm going to be happy with it, and not have to try again.

It seems like Garrett's got a lot of maps and data, but we have a couple shops that say precision and Xona flow better.
mickeyfinn
Club Member

Postby 5thgenbliss » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:05 pm

zaluss wrote:Good stuff. The Xona is compelling though I think a little more than I need so the Garrett's are absolutely on my short list.

Did you find out whether or not they can supply all the required fittings for all-in-one kit? Otherwise I'll reach out.

Sorry I forgot to ask that.
Boosting with the '92 GT-Four RC
5thgenbliss
Club Member

Postby mickeyfinn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:42 pm

mickeyfinn
Club Member

Postby mickeyfinn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:54 pm

I've been trying to take a more mathematical approach to picking the right turbo:
I've made a spreadsheet.

It seems if your goal is 400 HP (at crank, whp would be approx %80 this number [320whp])
You would need to plan for 44.0 lbs/min Flow, 31 lbs boost, and a pressure ratio of 3.1

Turbo Math.JPG
mickeyfinn
Club Member

Postby Alikazam » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:34 am

I just recently finished up my Alltrac work as far as getting it running and back on the road. Here's the basics:

Gen 3 engine with drop in head studs and 272 cams.
Street Brawler with Precision 5130 turbo.
1200cc low z injectors
walbro 450 pump

on 15psi pump gas it put down right under 300awhp (297 iirc STD corrected)
on 18psi (current set up) it did 327awhp (STD corrected)

I've been daily driving it for the past 2 weeks like this and it is loads of fun. Look at the dyno chart below and you'll see when boost came in, etc. This was in 3rd gear I believe. 6psi @ 3000 rpm, 16 psi @ 3500 rpm, 18psi @ 4000 rpm and holds it steady to red line.

1st gear you better have your hand on the shifter as soon as you hit boost basically, cuz it's not going to take long to hit the rev limiter.

For EMS we have an adapter board in stock ECU case with Link G4x, so its mounted with stock brackets in stock location under dash (PITA to remove, but I've gotten better at it...).

Kris is my brother so now that there's an alltrac in the family that's running / driving hopefully we can answer more questions you guys have as they arise! This was a project he had since 2006 but never was able to get to (2 man operation just limits how much you can get done on cars when orders pile up). Here's that dyno sheet:

She is flex fuel capable and we do plan to put in some E85 and tune it eventually on that too, just have a lot going on at the moment :)
1990 Celica Alltrac - Emma
Gen 3 engine
KO Racing Street Brawler - Precision 5130 Turbo
KO Racing In Factory ECU Case - Link G4x ECU
327 AWHP @ 18psi - pump gas
Alikazam
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

PreviousNext

Return to Performance and Power