koracing?

autojumbled

I had always assumed that if I wanted a bolt-on turbo option I should be looking at the S148 https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/turbo-technics-s148-560
Having said that, NixSpeed's CTX28 looks very interesting for retaining street-use characteristics and getting the boost coming on at lower revs. I wonder how they compare?

(I'm in UK BTW so S148 is obvs more easily available to me than NixSpeed's stuff)

Since Nixspeed CTX turbo options were mentioned here, I chatted with them via FB msgr last week. Here's a snippet.

Nixspeed reply:

"Hello, glad to hear the turbo is spreading. There are several options above the gt2860. We have the gtx2860, gtx2863, gtx2867, then there is the gtx2860 and 2867 gen 2.

The best option is the Xona 5757. In testing all of the Garrett stuff is almost identical and turbine wheel limited. They just don't flow but we did get 330whp max out of them. The Xona has the same quick spool and has made 400whp on lower boost and should be making 500whp soon. No downside and room to grow.

I run them (CTX28 Garretts) on stock ecus all the time. The 2nd gens run rich with the ct26 so this just leans them out a tad but they end up still rich. On the 4th gen you need to keep the boost under 17psi on stock ecu as they run leaner and will get in a danger zone. The Xona have a lot of really nice features the Garrett doesn't have. Billet stainless chra, built in oil filter and restrictor, ultra high flow turbine wheel, along with billet compressor wheel, ball bearing, and double oil seal like the Garrett's have."

Good to see more options for our 3SGTEs. Xona is a partnership between TiAL and I forget what turbo company.

zaluss

Good stuff. The Xona is compelling though I think a little more than I need so the Garrett's are absolutely on my short list.

Did you find out whether or not they can supply all the required fittings for all-in-one kit? Otherwise I'll reach out.

Good info. Thanks for Posting!

I wish there was more data from these lesser known companies like Xona and Precision. I can easily get behind the idea that a big company like Garrett can get fat, dumb, and lazy and may not have the best options. But they do have good documentation on their products (assuming they actually perform what's written down).

If I'm about to spend ~$2 - 3k on a turbo setup, I'd like to be dang sure I'm going to be happy with it, and not have to try again.

It seems like Garrett's got a lot of maps and data, but we have a couple shops that say precision and Xona flow better.

zaluss":1d3poe9r said:
Good stuff. The Xona is compelling though I think a little more than I need so the Garrett's are absolutely on my short list.

Did you find out whether or not they can supply all the required fittings for all-in-one kit? Otherwise I'll reach out.

Sorry I forgot to ask that.

I've been trying to take a more mathematical approach to picking the right turbo:
I've made a spreadsheet.

It seems if your goal is 400 HP (at crank, whp would be approx %80 this number [320whp])
You would need to plan for 44.0 lbs/min Flow, 31 lbs boost, and a pressure ratio of 3.1

Turbo Math.JPG

Alikazam

I just recently finished up my Alltrac work as far as getting it running and back on the road. Here's the basics:

Gen 3 engine with drop in head studs and 272 cams.
Street Brawler with Precision 5130 turbo.
1200cc low z injectors
walbro 450 pump

on 15psi pump gas it put down right under 300awhp (297 iirc STD corrected)
on 18psi (current set up) it did 327awhp (STD corrected)

I've been daily driving it for the past 2 weeks like this and it is loads of fun. Look at the dyno chart below and you'll see when boost came in, etc. This was in 3rd gear I believe. 6psi @ 3000 rpm, 16 psi @ 3500 rpm, 18psi @ 4000 rpm and holds it steady to red line.

1st gear you better have your hand on the shifter as soon as you hit boost basically, cuz it's not going to take long to hit the rev limiter.

For EMS we have an adapter board in stock ECU case with Link G4x, so its mounted with stock brackets in stock location under dash (PITA to remove, but I've gotten better at it...).

Kris is my brother so now that there's an alltrac in the family that's running / driving hopefully we can answer more questions you guys have as they arise! This was a project he had since 2006 but never was able to get to (2 man operation just limits how much you can get done on cars when orders pile up). Here's that dyno sheet:

garage.php

She is flex fuel capable and we do plan to put in some E85 and tune it eventually on that too, just have a lot going on at the moment :)

grip-addict

that's great! nice power #'s.
Question re: "drop in studs" - did you do this with the motor still in the car?
What's the procedure... do them in order but only replace one at a time? aka always leave 9 studs in and just do the one?
Or pull all the factory head bolts at once and then replace all at once?
I've wondered about doing this myself since head studs give some extra safety over head bolts, but I worry that it might unseal the factory gen 3 head gasket, so I haven't done it.

Alikazam

grip-addict":2pwz0j68 said:
that's great! nice power #'s.
Question re: "drop in studs" - did you do this with the motor still in the car?
What's the procedure... do them in order but only replace one at a time? aka always leave 9 studs in and just do the one?
Or pull all the factory head bolts at once and then replace all at once?
I've wondered about doing this myself since head studs give some extra safety over head bolts, but I worry that it might unseal the factory gen 3 head gasket, so I haven't done it.

Gen3 motor so was out at some point lol but can be done with motor in. You replace 1 at a time, verify torque before moving on to next. This way you don't lose seal of head gasket. I know also I hit 18psi in 5th just rolling the throttle when cruising along well before 4krpm but haven't looked at a log to see exactly when yet. Busy fixing other things... Like the 7th gen seat mounts this car had that included a hose clamp....

Thanks for posting this info!
Kris talked me into the same Street Brawler setup with the PTE-5130. Bought it last November. Still need to install it.
I've been curious to see the actual numbers.
Did you go with the .48 A/R? Kris said that would be the fastest spool possible.
Can you run it up to 22psi on pump gas? That's what I'm currently running (not with the SB with 5130). Lots of power, but the factory clutch is slipping. Need to put the ACT Clutch in.

Alikazam

mickeyfinn":3tukxfeb said:
Thanks for posting this info!
Kris talked me into the same Street Brawler setup with the PTE-5130. Bought it last November. Still need to install it.
I've been curious to see the actual numbers.
Did you go with the .48 A/R? Kris said that would be the fastest spool possible.
Can you run it up to 22psi on pump gas? That's what I'm currently running (not with the SB with 5130). Lots of power, but the factory clutch is slipping. Need to put the ACT Clutch in.

We stopped at 18 psi because this 3rd gen motor (not rebuilt, original internals) was not to happy with cylinder 2 in that it wanted to pull timing on that cylinder then cylinders 1 and 4 already started getting closer to knock threshold so we kept it daily driver safe on pump gas. Pretty sure my brother had already installed the act 6 puck in this car before i bought it from him and i must say it's not bad at all to drive with reference to commuting daily. As for the AR, I'm probably running .48 i wanted all the spool when i told him which Turbo i wanted lol. He made me build my own downpipe! Ugh! I'll check though and let you know for sure. I can say it hits 18 psi in 5th before 3500rpm (did it yesterday). Not exactly sure when before 3500rpm cuz have not looked at the logs and don't gun it in 5th often lol.

Alikazam

Did a couple more pulls on the freeway and seeing full 18psi in 5th gear around 3200rpm, 4th gear around 3500 rpm. Fyi

Alikazam

I'll try to get an in car video with the 1, 2 pull at least. I built the 3"exhaust out of scrap pieces lol other than the resonator, flex section and clamp parts of course. Original old Apexi muffler that was on the car with 2" exhaust (tapered down to 2" so was able to cut into taper further up to accept 3").

Attachments

• 20210219_183229.jpg
    20210219_183229.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 907