Build Thoughts and Ideas

3SDNA":2p29ad5n said:
Dude, no kidding, I love this engine. I want to put a Caldina engine in everything now!
No... seriously. First engine I have ever bought 2 cars for. Well I traded my 99 V70XC for a 93GT with a 215 swap that had a melted piston. Then I did a Gen2 block swap (not easy) and put it back in and it blew the tire off so bad I actually bought another car entirely for the purpose of housing the engine lol Now I have a 215 swapped 90 Camry alltrac! And... my poor 185 I stole the block from is under the car port looking all sad and neglected. Have not had the time to put the 205 engine in it that I have... and I really like the 215 so much I am debating changing plan and doing a 215 into it as well! :shrug:

bmt

I too have 215 motor in my st165. Running a 2871 turbo and aftermarket ecu, eagle rods, wiseco pistons. 299hp atw on 19lbs. The wiring was the most painful part.

My advice? Either do a completely stock swap or build the motor you want off the mark. Dont start down 1 track and then upgrade as it will burn a hole in your wallet AND more importantly your time.

I should listen to my own advice sometimes....

Locker

bmt":30f3pmsl said:
I too have 215 motor in my st165. Running a 2871 turbo and aftermarket ecu, eagle rods, wiseco pistons. 299hp atw on 19lbs. The wiring was the most painful part.

My advice? Either do a completely stock swap or build the motor you want off the mark. Dont start down 1 track and then upgrade as it will burn a hole in your wallet AND more importantly your time.

I think this is the mistake everyone makes and more than likely the one I will make on this project. I think we all start with good intentions of leaving it stock... then you get bit by the mod bug. lol

zaluss

Locker":r3pn76du said:
bmt":r3pn76du said:

I think this is the mistake everyone makes and more than likely the one I will make on this project. I think we all start with good intentions of leaving it stock... then you get bit by the mod bug. lol

Yup. I'm hoping to avoid the modding bug but... :D

While I don't regret going with gen3, I probably should have gone with gen4 for my swap for the flexibility as noted in previous comments.