1991 AT Engine Disassembly And Reassembly

Il_Barone

Hope to be in the right section.

4 months ago my engine block crancked near the water pump.
Reding this forum i found out that is a common problem of this type of engines, so i found an used Rev2 block and last sunday we started to disasembly the old 3sgte.
Here it is:

1xxikn.jpg

I've already ordered this kit: 86.5 CP Pistons kit, Eagle Rods, Arp Head Studs and the MLS head gasket (standard size)

rvin8m.jpg

In the next days i'll publish updates :)

Any advice is welcome :)

Have a nice day

Daniele

Il_Barone

Update:

My setup is:

Gen2 head with Gen3 camshafts
Gen2 block with:
- Cometic steel head gasket (thick as the original stock)
- CP pistons (86,5mm diameter)
- Eagle rods
- ACL complete bearing set
- Stainless Steel exhaust system
- Crankshaft and flywheel balanced

I'd like to keep the original ECU. What is your opinion about? :)
I'm not planning any boost level increase.

Now i'm looking for the spark plugs, i think i'll buy 4 NGK BKR6EP8.
I can't find the Denso plugs anywhere.

Here there are some pics of the new engine:

2pq25py.jpg

18ci36.jpg

2qx2wbr.jpg

Any advise is welcome :)

Daniele

awdmofo

im actually doing the same thing starting this weekend :D excited to crack this used engine open and see how bad it is compared to my already blown one. How long do you think it will take you do clean everything up and put it back into the car? Are you going to replace the clutch/flywheel while its apart?

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=51613

ST185l

wow, could put photos cranked, I have never seen any and if it is a common mistake ... you'd better be forewarned

It is a common error in 1/3 and 4 gene?

I could tell what has cost kit pistons reconstruction, etc. I'm in a similar situation and would like to forge better quantify whether or not forge

Bearing set is part of the kit or purchased separately, if so might know your price?

Where he bought all materials / parts, know if you ship to Spain?

What improvement or how much improvement expected from the camshafts 3 gene

A great job, muchisimos encouragement and thanks for sharing with us.
I hope these advances

GT4times2

IF you're not going to modify the car much, the stock ECU should be Ok. But fuel, cams, turbo upgrades...... :nono:

Il_Barone

Something is moving, very slowly :)

95orav.jpg

Yesterday night we mounted the intake manifold, injectors and the wiring.

Anyway, i noticed for the first time a modify on the turbo, here it is:

abkmsj.jpg

There are two pipes, one on the front (in the picture, where the metal cover is cut) and one on the back of the CT26.

What do you think it is, a custom water-cooling modify?

Ciao! :)

awdmofo

nice!! you lied on my build page, you're way ahead of me in my build :D. Machine shops still has my block and working on the head next week. What flywheel/clutch did you go with? Any reason you don't want a CT-20B turbo or something more fun? with some fuel upgrades and a customer computer you can make that engine fly :shock:

Il_Barone

It works!

First, we run the engine without the coil to put the oil (Castrol Magnatec) in circulation, then we connected the coil and it turned on at the first try :)

Maybe tomorrow evening we'll do the first ride after a long time, we still mount one driveshaft boot and new tires.

Here there's a picture of the engine complete and one of another friend of ours (in addition to the forklift)

ie41gn.jpg

2dsidjn.jpg

Il_Barone

awdmofo":6do4aclw said:
nice!! you lied on my build page, you're way ahead of me in my build

We started the job one year ago, more or less :D :D

What flywheel/clutch did you go with?

Original clutch. Original flywheel too, but it's balanced.

Any reason you don't want a CT-20B turbo or something more fun? with some fuel upgrades and a customer computer you can make that engine fly :shock:

First reason is money :D

Second and more important reason is that i'm afraid my new block can crack again.
I don't know why the old block cracked, it was a stock engine always and well mantained. It cracked near the water pump.

About that, any possible suggestions are welcome.

Il_Barone

Bad news guys.
Very bad news.

It leaks coolant from the head gasket. Exactly from the layers of the gasket.

With the engine on, we can see the coolant dripping from that precise point (in the red circle)

ip4nkw.jpg

mcrr6x.jpg

We torqued the head bolts following the BGB instructions.

We have not re-torqued them yet. Maybe it's the reason of that leak?

The head gasket is a Cometic with ARP bolts. Block and head were machine-shaped.

Did the same thing happen to you? Or do you know if it's a possible problem with Cometic gaskets?

I'm very demoralized :(

arp head bolts require more torque if I remember right. you should follow the arp torque specs.

But none the less it shouldn't of leaked at all. I personally always copper coat my gaskets even though cosmetic says no need to do so.

Il_Barone

We re-torque the head bolts and it doesn't leak anymore!!

We did about 10 km of road test, the engine goes very fast, the Japspeed stainless steel exhaust makes a beautiful sound :D

Next week we'll take the car to the bodyshop for a complete repainting

Pictures coming soon :D

outinnowhere3193":2o3fdsuc said:
arp head bolts require more torque if I remember right. you should follow the arp torque specs.

But none the less it shouldn't of leaked at all. I personally always copper coat my gaskets even though cosmetic says no need to do so.

We re-torqued the head (in the ARP box there was no specs about the torque specifications) but we didn't use any gasket sealant.

Il_Barone

Here i am :)

For now i've driven for about 100 miles.

Everything looks good, engine's answer is always very quick at low, medium or high regimes.

The Japspeed exhaust makes a beautiful sound.

No leaks.

The only thing i've noticed.... when i drive in the traffic, the cooling fan comes on every 5 minutes. When i stop the engine and i put one hand on the hood, i feel very very very warm coming from the engine bay.

Is the 3SGTE so hot in your Celicas?

Cheers

Some pic of my AT :)

2mcd3zr.jpg

29w7t5u.jpg

1zyblmx.jpg

2mpelfo.jpg

FC Zach

Awesome, congrats! Kudos on the no leaks!

As for the fan coming on. . Did you replace the thermostat? If so, what temp did you use. If not, I would check it at the very least.