2nd gen rebuild need guidence from the engine gods

awdmofo

so I have a 90 alltrac with a blown HG, bought my buddies 91T mr2 engine with a blown HG and 50K less miles (174k) on it to rebuild outside of the car. Rebuilding it myself for the first time which I why I'm a little nervous trying this on my own. Need advice as to tools I'm going to need (ie. ring compressor ect..) as I got the oil pan off and head off the car already. Have a used low mileage CT20b and will be putting on a 205WTA intercooler on so I can up the boost a little. Power range I'm going for is around 300 to the flywheel nothing high. Thinking I can take out the pistons and clean them up, new rings and bearings maybe, something race status?? wondering if the crank needs to be balanced or shaved down? Any help would be much appreciated, also any SOCAL guys want to come by and see the car apart are welcome to do so :D.

My build thread so far with pics...

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=51613

underscore

If you're taking everything apart you're going to want to get all the components checked out by a machine shop, at minimum they should have to deck the block and head so the mating surfaces are completely flat again. Depending on the condition of the engine the cylinders may also need to be bored out which means new pistons and rings. You should definitely replace the bearings which may mean machining the rods (or replacing them) as well.

Long story short hold off on buying any components until you hear back on the condition of everything from the machine shop.

MacGyver

Consult the great BGB. It has a great tear down and inspection section. Depending on how the motor met it's end some pieces can be reused. I like to get the block thermal cleaned and at least honed, possibly decked depending on if it's been done before and if there is warpage. Measure everything twice. Then make a parts list and a budget.

awdmofo

underscore":xd07nbtt said:
If you're taking everything apart you're going to want to get all the components checked out by a machine shop, at minimum they should have to deck the block and head so the mating surfaces are completely flat again. Depending on the condition of the engine the cylinders may also need to be bored out which means new pistons and rings. You should definitely replace the bearings which may mean machining the rods (or replacing them) as well.

Long story short hold off on buying any components until you hear back on the condition of everything from the machine shop.

Thank you, its all apart now only thing attached to the block is the crank. Have no where safe to set it down without worrying it will get nicked or dirty. Looking for a machine shop in the orange county area here in California. Should be a lot just need to find one that knows the 3S engine well. Cylinder walls are pretty dirty and almost rusted on 3 of the 4. What I noticed is a little play in the 3rd and 1st rod where it connects to the crank :(. Don't know if that will affect anything when I rebuild.

Noticed the top of the pistons say 0.50 does that indicate they are 0.5mm over board pistons that are aftermarket?

awdmofo

MacGyver":2gcrycbu said:
Consult the great BGB. It has a great tear down and inspection section. Depending on how the motor met it's end some pieces can be reused. I like to get the block thermal cleaned and at least honed, possibly decked depending on if it's been done before and if there is warpage. Measure everything twice. Then make a parts list and a budget.

Lucky for me the car came with a BGB and the electrical book as well. Any idea what decking, manafluxing and honing the block runs? I think im going to have the head cleaned up and valve adjusted, seals replaced. one shop told me $195 for that and $50 to clean the block.