91 Camry alltrac, beams swap?

ride_child

I'm just wondering if anyone has done a black top beams swap? I've thought about doing a gte swap but I already have a turbo and want something a little better on gas. Thanks for your help/input!

Kris

flyingdutchman

ride_child":32p2yvx6 said:
I'm just wondering if anyone has done a black top beams swap? I've thought about doing a gte swap but I already have a turbo and want something a little better on gas. Thanks for your help/input!

Kris
Charlie did a swap and I found another one by googling "beams Camry"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fussellbug

Blacktop engines are made to sit upright in rear wheel drive cars like the Altezza (Lexus IS series), but the redtop and greytop versions are intended for the tilted back transverse mounting of front wheel drive cars like the Celica, Camry and others (as well as MR2). The design is very similar but the blacktop oil flow paths, drive by wire throttle and other issues make it much more complex to use in a FWD car. Although the initial price of a blacktop engine is cheaper, you will spend a lot less money getting the redtop fitted in your Camry.

For more info on Beams engines and to see completed swaps in a variety of cars, you should check out the Beams Owners Group over at MR2.com
http://www.mr2.com/forums/forums/127-BEAMS-Owners-Group

ride_child

Yea I was messaging with Charlie earlier and he cleared up the black top greytop confusion. I'm looking at a grey top from an auto caldina.
I'll check out that forum too. Thanks so much for your demeanor and help, these are a bit different than the subies I'm used to!

Kris