What's the latest ecu upgrade for a gen3 daily driver?

lalojamesliz1

I don't like how my gen3 afr's are during acceleration under light to medium load. It feels somewhat twitchy to me and not safe for my engine. My wideband shows mid 14's under boost . Under medium to full throttle the afr's are between mid 10's to 13. That seems normal to me. Not the mid 14's
I want to upgrade my ecu and get it tuned but I also can't afford the best. I just want a smooth powerband with my stock gen3 with 91 octane. Maybe even with e85 but I know that requires bigger injectors and pump and whatever else.
I know there's some shops in California that I can drive my all-trac or even tow it if necessary but what's a decent upgrade for the ecu?

underscore

What's the health of the fuel system like? What other mods are you running? The stock fuel systems are tuned to be pretty rich so I'd suspect other things are causing you to run lean.

If you do change the EMS you need to find a tuner who knows the 3S first and see what they know how to tune. There's no point buying a system that nobody within 1000 miles knows how to use.

lalojamesliz1

underscore":181vmfdn said:
What's the health of the fuel system like? What other mods are you running? The stock fuel systems are tuned to be pretty rich so I'd suspect other things are causing you to run lean.

If you do change the EMS you need to find a tuner who knows the 3S first and see what they know how to tune. There's no point buying a system that nobody within 1000 miles knows how to use.

The fuel system is good. I changed the filter not too long ago and the pump with a aisin replacementlike 1k miles ago. I currently push it to 17-18 psi on cold days but not very often.
Ignition stuff (cap, rotor and wires) is oem gen3 that has about 5k miles.

Yeah I agree I need something that a local tuner knows. That sounds like the answer I needed. I'll call whatever shops in California know the 3s and see what EMS they know.
I was just wondering if I could get recommendations...

underscore

Have the injectors been cleaned?

As for which to go with, all I really know is don't get a Microtech unless all you want to do is drive around at WOT all the time.

lalojamesliz1

underscore":3f7zjvt5 said:
Have the injectors been cleaned?

As for which to go with, all I really know is don't get a Microtech unless all you want to do is drive around at WOT all the time.

I don't think these have. The previous owner had this gen3 engine installed and I seriously doubt it. I use good gas but it can still be the injectors causing the engine to run like that huh.
It normally idles smooth but I've always seen my afr's fluctuating between like 14.3 to 14.9 while driving. Before when I had a the original gen2 with gen3 efi I remember the afr's being solid. I'll probably just send the ones I have one my spare gen3 to witch hunter to get them cleaned and swap them. I wish we could just test them and see instead of sending them in.

I'll stay away from microtech. Thanks

underscore

See if there's a local guy that can clean them. Mine were cleaned, tested and flow matched by a local guy for $100.

grip-addict

The link ecu is probably the best drop-in standalone since it's newer, has good widespread support, and there is a plug and play harness adapter available. That'd be my recommendation if you are wanting to keep the transition simple and not add a ton of extra features.

abraxxa

I've only used Haltechs, started with an E8, switched to a Platinum PS1000, then to an Elite 1500, always loved them.

warracer

abraxxa":1g2spc7v said:
I've only used Haltechs, started with an E8, switched to a Platinum PS1000, then to an Elite 1500, always loved them.

Did you use the universal wiring from Haltech ? Im having issue with my stock ecu and im eyeing the Haltech Elite 1000...

abraxxa

My harness is still a E11v2 universal short harness with a harness extension for the ST205 like what Boomslang offers.
First the E8 was used to control fuel and ignition only, later after switching to the PS1000 I‘ve removed the OEM ECU completely.
Last year I cleaned up the whole harness and also added a fuel pressure sensor and wires for oil temp and pressure bit haven‘t fitted the sensors so far.
My plan is to do this with this years oil change.

grip-addict

That's pretty cool Abraxxa, I intend to do the same. Both sensors need to be put on an extension in order to balance out the pulses and get a consistent reading, right ? Have you figured out where you will route those? Our engine bays are so cramped :(
I've been eyeballing where the cruise control normally goes but I'm not married to any idea... yet.

abraxxa

I have an oil cooler adapter plate with an oil cooler already installed so I'll look if it has two spare connectors.
There is also a combination sensor for oil pressure and temp but quite expensive which is why I plan to use two separate ones.
The Gen 4 block also has two closed threads right where the oil filter normally sits so those might be usable too...
My engine bay is quite ok: no charcoal canister, no battery, no air filter box, no TMIC, no intercooler water pump, ...