ST165 Worn turbo

Mateo

My ST165 I bought with a Supra CT26 on the gen 1 motor is pretty worn, even though it was boosting fine the wastegate flapper might have fell out of the exhaust before I took off the turbo and found the housing was cracked along with a lot of shaft play. Would it be better to go a custom wastegate flap and rebuild the current CT26 or get a CT20B or a different CT? I don't want to do a ton of custom work got a aftermarket turbo I can't really afford, so I'm looking at either rebuilding my current turbo or getting a different CT turbo that just bolts up.

grip-addict

fixing what you have is almost always cheaper than buying new stuff to replace it.
That being said, welding cast iron can be difficult, you may have problems finding someone to fix it.

If you have to replace it, if you can find a ct20b, that'd probably be the next most affordable option.

After that, you're looking at the custom route.
New, you could always use the NIXspeed turbine housing and pair it with a Garret GT/GTX turbo. It'll use the same downpipe that you already have and *should* work on your gen1 exhaust manifold (I suggest double checking on this, it definitely fits gen 2).
Used, you'll want to cruise around the mr2 forums / facebook for parts. They're far more active with parts swapping than here.

best of luck.

Mateo

I just solved my missing wastegate flap and cracked housing by pure luck when someone posted 3 CT26 exhaust housings on eBay, I'm just going to fix what I have now