Shim the wastegate possible?

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

Well im about to remove this piece of shit in cabin bleed valve and sell it off. Im wondering is it possible to shim the wastegate to achieve more boost?

___Scott___

I've done it, but I recommend just going with a ball/spring boost controller. You can build your own or pick one up cheap off eBay. I made mine and it works great.

Griffin

-==L=a=N=c=E==-":35e9d2gq said:
saved_1992":35e9d2gq said:
yes it is possible but i do not know how much extra boost you will get

Its all trial and error im told... Just needed to know if its been done :)

Ill report back on how it goes :)

Yup it works - mine has 3 washers stacked between the wastegate actuator and compressor housing at both bolts and I made about 24 PSI with the factory controller at 100% duty cycle. I think theres actually more boost left in it still, but I'm looking for an electronically adjustable means of proper control. I've been considering trying to add a restrictor in the line from the compressor to the actuator

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

Griffin":208sbtb1 said:
-==L=a=N=c=E==-":208sbtb1 said:
saved_1992":208sbtb1 said:

Yup it works - mine has 3 washers stacked between the wastegate actuator and compressor housing at both bolts and I made about 24 PSI with the factory controller at 100% duty cycle. I think theres actually more boost left in it still, but I'm looking for an electronically adjustable means of proper control. I've been considering trying to add a restrictor in the line from the compressor to the actuator

3 washers and 24psi! fuck me! Ill try 2 washers, and see what i get... Im only aiming for around 1Bar MAX.

Griffin

-==L=a=N=c=E==-":2t93kqh8 said:
Griffin":2t93kqh8 said:
-==L=a=N=c=E==-":2t93kqh8 said:
saved_1992":2t93kqh8 said:

3 washers and 24psi! fuck me! Ill try 2 washers, and see what i get... Im only aiming for around 1Bar MAX.

I should add that I have a modified CT26 not a stock one - your results may vary.

facapino

can anyone post pics on exactly where to put the washers? sorry for the ignorance. :oops:

or at least a detailed explanation.

thanks

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

facapino":11jzfsiy said:
can anyone post pics on exactly where to put the washers? sorry for the ignorance. :oops:

or at least a detailed explanation.

thanks

Ill take some pictures for you when i do mine (wednesday hopefully)

Basically, on the compressor housing, there is a bracket which holds the wastegate actuator. It is held on by 2 screws. By putting washers inbetween the bracket and the housing, you can increase the boost, as the actuatot is further away from the wastegate, therefore more boost.

superalltrac

I've shimmed my wastegate and I got about 5 extra psi. before I shimmed I believe I was only getting 3 psi. I have also since put in a MBC and now I finally get 12 psi. I think it's time to rebuild the turbo or get a new one. Does anyone have a used one for sale?