st205 into st185 swap faq/ and parts compatibility

CMS-GT4

I think I am going to get an aussie dp for the 205. My dp is a for a 185 and only has the bung for the o2 sensor. I may just get a bung added. Not sure yet.

k_trac

Here is a pic of my pick, deppining the harness. If you have a white connector of some harness, like the small AC plug that goes behind the glove box, take a look at it.

When you look inside one of the pin holes that does NOT have a pin, you will see the little snap that holds the pin in place.

I say look at a white connector because you can actually see inside bc its a lot lighter. Once you can identify the snap that holds the pin in place, try moving it around with the pic. All you really need to do is push it upwards, away from the pin.

What I noticed is that it does not work well to just wedge the pic in between the snap and the pin becuase it binds up that way. Take the time to push up without touching the pin and pull the wire out the backside.

You really do need three hands, one to hold the harness, one for the pic, and one to pull the wire. I used my chin to hold the pic in place most of the time. You will create your own method. A vice for the harness would work too.

On an aside, my CEL stopped coming on, took it for a hell ride around the block....YES, A LOT FASTER THAN A STOCK 185!

Still dont have temp probe or charcoal canister hooked up to anything.....

CMS-GT4

Thanks for the tips.

I replied to your error code post. I thought it might have had to do with the wiring to the air temp senso for the airbox.

Can you post a pic of the wires you used to to water temp sensors? Thats what I am going to jump on when I get back from holiday. I want to have the car running before the end of january.

My intercooler piping should be here by wednesday. If I have any free time, I am going to go ahead and try and figure that out.

CMS-GT4

Well, I am going to tear into it this week after I get the next issue out. Hows your holding up?

I am also going to pull the a/c out. What belt are you using w/o the a/c?

scothaniel

Wow, for some reason I stopped getting the reply notifications after my last post. I had no idea this thread was still alive for the past 4 months or so!

So, where are you guys at with the wiring? Any questions I can help with?

k_trac

Ive put 25 miles on the car yesterday, no mishaps. My only remaining questions.....besides my constatly running cooling fans which you just helped me with....

-temp probe in first cat - what do I do with this?
-plug on charcoal canister- what do I do with this?

Other than that, thing runs the nuts, I think my exhaust is still clogged with rats nests and my throttle cable is screwed up, but thats not rocket science :shoots:

Thanks for all your help scott!

scothaniel

There is a temp probe in the first cat? Like an EGT probe someone put in, or a stock Toyota sensor? The only thing on my 205 DP is the o2 sensor.

As for the charcoal canister, some of the 3rd gens were setup to use a computer controlled vsv instead of the typical mechanical vsv's. Without the sensor connected, the vsv will remain closed and the hydrocarbons will be released to atmosphere. I dont think it will throw any error codes, but I can check when I get home.

CMS-GT4

Mine has two probes as well. 02 ensor, and something that looks like an egt. I am not sure how I might wire it up, but I will have to geta bung welded into my dp and I am not sure how much it is really needed if you guys are not even using them.

scothaniel

This looks like the map sensor:

http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/5660/dscn29866lo.jpg

Should be one vac line on the bottom. 3 wire, brown, pink, and redish. The 205 map sensor is not available in the US, and used one's are pretty expensive. Hope your mechanic installed the right one - better check the part numbers.

I've been searching google for the past half hour, looking for another 2 bar sensor with voltage readings close to those of the ST205's on Richard Doig's website http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/mapsensor.htm and haven't found one yet. GM and Mopar sensors wont work. Looks like the apexi may be close.

CMS-GT4

I can't see the label. I am sorta concerned if he tossed the right one. It doesn't look like the ones in the pic. I doubt they changed the map sensor on the 205 for any years.

CMS-GT4

So I ended up buying another map sensor. :(

When it gets here and if I am in between some of my work/projects I am going to try and raise that percentage of whats done.

Going to finish the cabin wiring first then I will worry about the sensors when they get here.

at3619

If you dont mind me asking, how much did u end up paying for that map sensor? And where did you get it from? I need one... :bangshead:

CMS-GT4

200 from a semi-local mr2 shop. Same place I bought the clip. I would either check chico race works, mr2 forum or someone along those lines.

illGT4

Update?

I just purchased a 3rd gen motor/gearbox. I'm going to try and do the rewiring and drop it in the ST185 for now.

I had a full clip + Brakes + rear diff, etc.. coming from outside the country, but it's going to take a little longer.

Nothing wrong with having two 3rd gens right? :)

Anyhow, I was thinking of getting a new 2nd gen harness and rewiring it. Would it be easier to get a harness from a 92-93 since there are less to rewire?? Will this work with my 90 body harness parts?

CMS-GT4

If nothing is wrong with your current harness I would just use it.

Cheaper and not that much harder than the 92-93 version.

Just more pins to move around.

illGT4

CMS-GT4":2hyi4mvm said:
If nothing is wrong with your current harness I would just use it.

Cheaper and not that much harder than the 92-93 version.

Just more pins to move around.

My current harness is shorting out from the fuse box.

I have an extra fuse box / harness.. But not sure really about it's quality.

I don't care about saving money at this point. I just want to be sure everything is new and tidy.

Will the 92-93 harness give me any problems with the rest of the car? (body) since it's a 90? I haven't been able to compare pinouts from 90-91 and 92-93.

Thanks

CMS-GT4

Changing these pins sucks. I got my gf to pull the wire out from the back while I pressed the clip. It made it much easier. I broke my pickin half on the second one. Might get a thicker pick tonight and finish it. I have to redecide which wire to move for THAM, I was going to move one off another connector.

I am also going to take the wires from my 205 harness for the wtaic and install them on my 185 harness so I can bridge them to prevent code 54.

I hope to get the wiring done tonight.

Then all I have left is to swap the bolt head from the 185 compressor to the 205 compressor, belts for the 205 vaccume hoses and fmic. I am also working on the fmic now.