st205 into st185 swap faq/ and parts compatibility

k_trac

*UPDATED*

Ok, so I am soldering in 205 plugs to the 185 harness where needed-
-O2 sensor
-Alternator
-Had to gind some material off the 205 ignitor to fit into the 185 plug, went on, but barely, may need to swap the plug over if it acts up
-Starter
-Knock sensor
-Oil pressure

I have the whole 185 harness in place, 95% plugged in....

Things I have left-
-Pin swap
-Wire up IC

Questions-
-Is the 185 injector resistor / fuel pump resistor ok to use?
-What plugs into that green vsv looking plug on the 205 charcoal canister?
-How do I hook up the temp probe in the downpipe?

Josh or scott... :shrug:
Thanks mang

k_trac

What up suckas!

Ok, so just about done......

Didnt wire up the IC yet, but I have planned how Im going to use the AC harness to get to the ECU, and hook up the relay and all that.

So, I turned the key, and it cranked, it was getting fuel

How do I know that, I forgot to tighten the fitting on the filter, so gas went everywhere......

Im gonna let the garage air out for a while, and shut off all electricity, go get more gas to replace that 2 year old shit in the tank. Ya, just about 2 years old. So maybe it was good that I "purged" it out.

We'll see what happens when I come back....oh please god.....make it work....

k_trac

Its Running, idle is a little high, but runs smooth.

Couldnt run for more than 2 mins due to the fact that I just realized my rad has a hole, wont hold coolant.

Got 3 or 4 codes, I know one is a 54, for the IC, have to look up the others.

Rats nest shot out of the tailpipe when I started it up, fortunetly no rats, that would have been messy!

CMS-GT4

Good to hear you making progress. I hope to jump in there some point today. Did you check timing too? I am alomst afraid I am going to have to set mine.

Did you figure out all the wires to match for the sensors, less the a/c.

Got any pics or tips?

k_trac

I do have some tips....there were a few wierd things I ran into along the way. Most of them wont apply to you Josh, since you have a 92 and arent running the IC. ex- wiring schematic had wrong colors listed for some IC wires.

I did figure out how to pull the pins, requires very little force, and a VERY small pic. Actually, I think a sewing needle would have worked best. I could draw a picture of what it looks like inside now that I understand it.

Im sure Ill think of other stuff.

CMS-GT4

Any pics of the wiring you did for the water temp sensors. I was never able to figue out what wires out of the 4 sensors the 185 had need to go on to 205 sensors.

CMS-GT4

Well, I spent all day just cleaning the garage so I could work. Then I cleared out the car since the mechanic put all the extra stuff in there. I am still trying to get out that damn ECU. Ther eis one bolt left that is stuck under the carpet. Can't move the carpet cause the gas pedal blocks it. If I get frustrated enough, I am going to cut a damn hole into the carpet to get to it. Once I get it out, I will repin, I have sewing needles ready. Then I will look at what I got left on the vac hoses and engine sensors.

CMS-GT4

I was trying to do this all from the passenger seat. Gave up, then got some shears. Could not even get the shears in to cut the carpet. So I cleared out everything so I could try the drivers door. Took some effort but I got the carpet bent. Gave me a better angle to get the bolt. Once I got that, I had to wrestle out the ecu. Had to disconnect a bunch of stuff just so I could get it out of there. Not I got it out. Going to do the pins in the morning. I can see how those pins look frustrating. I can't see where to put the needles, but I will poke around in the morning. Thank god I only have to move a few. I don't look forward to having to hook every thing back up. I doubt I am going to put it in how it was. I want to kick, the engineer who designed this, in the balls.

I think I am going to go ahead and remove all the other things as I put it back in, airbag, alarm etc...

NOTE: The mechanic installed the 185 igniter. Should I use the 205 unit? Not sure if the 205 uses a different spark system.

Gary

IIRC, the 205 uses different ignitor but the same as 94-98 Celica GT or other cars in that time range that came with 5SFE.

CMS-GT4

Guess, I will just swap the igniter over too.

I was looking though pics in hyper rev, and would almost concider either a 4th gen intake manifold or one from the later 3sge. Seems like both are a simple way of better intake and shorter IC piping.

Of course I need to worry about making it run first.

k_trac

Few things about the pins-

Ill take a pic of the pins later today. Dont mar up the plastic, its easy to do. It takes very little effort to pull out he pins, so if you are forcing it, youre not doing it right.

Another thing about the pins- There are two different sizes. if you look at the face of the 13pin connector the outer two pins on eash side have bigger holes, differnt from all the others.

So if you do have to swap those pins on your 92, you have to cut off the pins and use the small or big type depending on which way you go. I salvaged some small ones from the AC harness of my 205 harness. Still had to modify those with a dremel to snap in fully.

As for the water temp, Ill check that again and let you know which wires I used. One of the two codes im getting is for a water sensor. The other is the temp sensor in the air cleaner. So I have to look into those, but besides that, everything seems hunky dory!

CMS-GT4

I don't think needles will do the job, unless I am doing something wrong. I guess I will wait for your pics.

Is it me or does there seem to be more room between the radiator and the turbo/engine?

brophats

hey coldiron did from the pics of your car it looks like you have your turbo clocked down. how'd you mount the waistegate actuator?

Demetrius

CMS-GT4

I am going to do that when I do the piping.

I am going to have to fab up a bracket of some sort.

k_trac

I dont have the small temp probe plugged into anything. Also, dont have the plug on the charcoal canister plugged into anything.

I drove the car a total of 1 mile today. I got the IC all hooked up. Had some trouble with figuring out where to get power from for 2 wires, ended up using inline fuses right off the battery since it was the closest and easiest thing.

I was exceited to not have a check engine light until I hit boost at heavy throttle. After that I got code 23 and 54. I know 54 is low coolant level for the IC, I didnt see a 23 on the st205 trouble sheet....? only 22 and 24