st205 into st185 swap faq/ and parts compatibility

brophats

everything bolts right up the only thing i had to do was use a lower profile radiator fan because the factor shroud was really close to the turbo

Demetrius

CMS-GT4

As I am going through this stuff, I am realizing the guys who installed the engine itself for me did a sloppy job on a bit of it. They left off some stuff and didn't bother with other stuff. So, I may loose some time double checking their work.

I am sure this is going to add some time to the project, also having some issues organizing the welder. I think I am going to get everything working first then tow it to the welder, finish the fmic and drive it back.

Acadian alltrac

about the motor mounts. I will get new one if they dont fit, now is the time to replace them since the motor is out (st 185 motor still in, refering to st 205 motor that is)

ok I wasnt clear on that, will some of the st205 motor mounts fit ?? because the one I have on the st185 are no good so if they dont I will get new one

CMS-GT4

So, we start hard core on the car tonight and tomorrow.

I already found that the '92 O2 sensor wire needs to be swapped.

I am going to try and get everything but the vacuum lines done by sunday.

CMS-GT4

So, here I am so far and I think I have the most of it figured out.

The one peice that puzzles me. IS this bit:

Like I said before, you'll either need an extra sensor for the water elbow or you'll need to ditch something. The 205 has 2 water temp sensors / switches and the 185 has 4. One is for the cold-start injector, which doesn't exist on the 205 and therefore not needed. The others are the A/C temp switch, water temp gauge, water temp sensor (ecu). You could easily bypass the A/C temp switch by grounding the wire, just dont turn the A/C on if the car is overheating! )

Now I have this link to images of the water elbow for the 185.

http://streetcarforums.com/forumdisplay ... &forumid=6

How might I tap into that to add this sensor for my A/C and such. ANd which sensors do I need to pull from the old engine.

Kyoto

One is for the cold-start injector, which doesn't exist on the 205

I read so much info about these cars so its well possible im getting confused with something else, but on one of the British forums they reckon the cold start injector does exist (in name only). Its really there to hook up the homologated WI. Not sure how much truth is in this, or if yours was removed, or if im just imiagining it but could be worth investigating.

Kyoto

NFI. I know i have retained my A/C but then again i didnt do all of the transplant myself and then again there were diferences between yours and mine, ie 165 vs 185 and i retained the entire 205 ECU/loom/IC.

CMS-GT4

Made some progress today.

Changed connectors for
-O2 sensor
-Alternator
-THA

Also changed out the head on the A/C unit.

I need to see pics of the water neck and how others did it.

Edit: Dug through the 205 bgb and found the THAM.

CMS-GT4

So, these temp sensors. THam and THA. Does it matter which wires I connects? There are two wires for both items. Do I need to make a certain color match another?

CMS-GT4

So I have not touched the car in a month. Been busy at work, and I may be loosing my second job. Part of me wants to just sell the car and pay off the Z and focus on my business, but I guess I am going to try and get it done. I am getting lost on a few things, and I have taken such a break from working on the car, I am having a hrd time figuring out where I left off.

I got a friend who did a 3rd gen swap in his mr2. I guess I will get him to come over for a few nights and maybe we can get this thing done. I don't think there is more than 6-hours work left on it. I just got get my bearings.

CMS-GT4

Just an update, I am getting close to done and being able to start the car up.

I have a question though, can someone tell me where this water line connects to?

waterelbowob9.jpg

k_trac

That looks more like the spot for one of the water temp sensors. I dont know which one, but theres only two.

As for the AC sensor in the water elbow, you need to pull off the sensor from the other elbow and find out what thread it is. Im pretty sure that its a straight thread that seals on a copper washer. So you would need to drill, tap, then get a flat sufrace to seal against. Pipe threads are easy, they just seal themselves.

Dude, for the belts, I would think they are the same as gen2. I used a alt. belt from a non AC 5sfte engine with a modified tensioner. I would bet $20 that the belts that came off your gen2 will fit the gen3.

YES, it does matter which wires go the the THAM etc. Just match the + to+ and the - to - :D

You will need to swap of the connectors for tham and tha from your st205 harness. You keep the st205 sensors, and splice the connectors into the 185 harness....actually the 185 may fit....try it out.

CMS-GT4

I think I figured out the hose. I found one page in the bgb that might give hint. I think it goes to the heater core.

So I just need to go pick up a heater core hose from toyota and hook it up.

I am holding off on the A?C till the car runs. I am going to try and setup the st205 system as is. If it does not work, I wll try this setup for 185 controls.

I am just getting a belt from autozone. The ps belt fits. I am going to try and fit the 185 acc. belt first.

I have two wires left.

BTW: I found something that will help future swapers, at least 92-93. Two of the pin connectors have a flip up back. If you unclip that, you can just pull the pins ut and move them. One still needs a pick.

illGT4

It's the water temp sensor for the gauge cluster on mine.

However the pic you posted looks different than my 3rd gen.

k_trac

Ya, that pic looks like the st185 water elbow.

But you are right, the two hoses that go into the back of the elbow both go to the heater core, dont know if they are interchangeable or not. I just tried to match them up according to how the were molded.

CMS-GT4

I can assure you that its not. It looks simular, but has 1 less sensor and the plugs are all different.