Group Buy Poll - Feb, 2012

What parts would you like to have a group by for?

• cusco camber plates

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • walbro 255lph fuel pump kit

• tein coilovers

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • AEM wideband

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • VIS CF hoods

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Boost controller (manual or electronic)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • wheel spacers

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • engine mounts race

• BOLT in/ WELD in ROLL CAGE

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • rear diff kits race

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLensTRAC

I like the idea of a simple 4 point roll bar for use with harnesses. That would be another thing off the purchase list. And as for the pump I personally have gone way beyond anything factory in the fuel system so that wouldn't be a problem for me but I could see it being a problem for other members. Let me know about the cage even if it does not end up being part of the group buy. Another idea would be to host a GB with ACPT for their carbon driveshaft. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to have a reputable name on this forum host it.

celigts

If funds weren't an issue I'd be jumping on the cf alltrac hoods if that ends up being a part of this group buy.

Really would like the bushings and mounts first tho. Maintenance is key to a strong car.

toayoztan

Will the simple roll bar/cage look like pats/trevors?

I'm looking at buying it if it'll pass NHRA requirements (for 1/4 mile drag) and amateur tracking events.

Bryan

dragstang86

toayoztan":3my1cq3c said:
Will the simple roll bar/cage look like pats/trevors?

I'm looking at buying it if it'll pass NHRA requirements (for 1/4 mile drag) and amateur tracking events.

Bryan

I can help if you guys decide to go with a bar and or cage through Autofab Race Cars. I drag race full time and they sponsor my racing so I am very involved with the shop and have a good amount of pull there. They do custom cages in everything from street/strip cars to SCCA cars to building pro mods and dragsters so I can have them make them to any specifications you want. The cage they did for my stock suspension Mustang fits so tight that you can't even tell it has a full cage in it from a few feet away. Door bars bent around factory arm rests etc.

As far as NHRA requirements, you just need a 6 point weld in bar to go 11.49 or faster.

klue

There is a company that makes them off the shelf, no need for custom work. Ive installed on in a customers car buy AUTOpwr.

Just lead time to have it rigged up. read up on it here
http://www.autopowerindustries.com/

temperacerguy

dragstang86":2qk2axwx said:
They make a roll bar specific for a celica? I didn't see anything on that site.

According to their site, they make them for the Gen 2,3,4 and 7. No love for the Gen 5 and 6 guys.

toayoztan

What's the cage made out of?

I'd like to have chromoly steel.

Dragstang, that would be cool to get something set up if possible. My little brother welds, so if I could even just get the shaped/bent bars fitted for the alltrac, I can weld it in myself and weld it together, like a "kit for the welder" type deal. Potential cost?

Klue, I didn't see anything on there either. If there's already a kit made, then yeah, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Bryan

GT4times2

Hey Klue,

I've been doing some reading on the Raceland coil overs, and I see many good reviews on them. Would you be interested in promoting something for the ST165 and ST185 cars? They make kits for quite a few cars, and it would be nice to add the Celicas to the mix. Do you have any pull to make that happen? I saw a thread on the 6GC.net site about getting on board for a kit for the 6th Gen. Could you do that? They're already affordable, and I know many Alltrac guys would show some sort of interest.

http://www.racelandus.com/

I'd be interested in any kinds of bushings as well, subframe, rear diff mounts/bushings. I will send you a PM on some things I've been working on myself for Alltrac restoration parts with certain companies, etc.

VIS RC hood will seem to be the logical route for my ST185 vs oem RC hood. If they can make one for the ST165, that'll be great. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

dragstang86

temperacerguy":iclpf9e1 said:
dragstang86":iclpf9e1 said:
They make a roll bar specific for a celica? I didn't see anything on that site.

According to their site, they make them for the Gen 2,3,4 and 7. No love for the Gen 5 and 6 guys.

O gotcha. Well I don't plan on putting a bar in mine but if group of you guys are interested in having some custom bent for an ST185 I wouldn't have a problem with letting them use my car to fit them to.

toayoztan

Yeah about the only company I know that makes a cage or bar for our car is Cusco, which can be had with various points and weld in or assembled I believe.

Oh, and for those inquiring about the CF driveshaft for a group buy, the price they are quoting right now for individual purchases is actually cheaper than the group buy price when they first started selling them.

We could try for another group buy to get even a better discount.

I'm actually looking into buying a CF DS too eventually.

Bryan

dragstang86

toayoztan":87gubn7g said:
What's the cage made out of?

I'd like to have chromoly steel.

Dragstang, that would be cool to get something set up if possible. My little brother welds, so if I could even just get the shaped/bent bars fitted for the alltrac, I can weld it in myself and weld it together, like a "kit for the welder" type deal. Potential cost?

Klue, I didn't see anything on there either. If there's already a kit made, then yeah, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Bryan

Most everything we do is chromoly except for when a customer requests DOM to meet some sort of SCCA type rules or mild steel just to save a few bucks on a mild car. Being around it all for so long I am probably more particular about it than most people, but it really bothers me when I see universal type (one size fits most) roll bars in cars. I am just really big on the bar fitting the shape of the car and there not being several inches or more of gap between the pillars/headliner and the bar. Some people don't care but I guess I am just really particular with my cars. If anybody is interested I could post a few pics of one of my cars that I had them do a tight fitting cage in.

ALLensTRAC

Hey Bryan I am very interested in the DS too. I saw the price they quoted Corey but I was hoping we would have enough members to get a second GB going. I thought that if we had an established trustworthy member host it (i.e. you or Klue) and we could get more than 5 members to buy one it would bring the turnaround time down with ACPT. And about the cage I am just looking at something simple that can be welded in(I don't believe in bolt in cages). I thought that only a 4 point was needed up to 10.99 or slower Dragstang correct me if I'm wrong. Also I had read somewhere that a lot of the sanctioning bodies were going away from chromoly?

klue

Hey guys,
As for the cages, your right autopower only lists for the st165, I feel like the sore thumb looking for parts for it :p

as for cusco cages, does any have the part numbers for these? If they are still available I should be able to get them!

Problem with chromoly cages is that they are not done right and when they are not they can be lethal. chromoly is one of those materials that I would say needs post weld heat treatment to stress relieve. If you haven't been doing it for 1000 years someone is probably going to end up putting to much heat into it. I dunno this is a touchy subject in racing right now and much debated, im not sure where its going to go as it is hard to regulate the processes beyond welding inspection. When I get the time I will go pick some brains in the chassis prep guys I know and see what I can gain

moving on : raceland. I checked out the site briefly and its the usual stuff there. I like the fact that they sell direct, but that also makes it harder to gauge how many people have issues. I can easily ask one of my supplier, how many times does someone whine about a Tein VS megan(just examples) and how many units do you sell ETC. Sure this is an option but would probably take quite a bit of lead time to get things rolling

CF DS looks pretty good, are there still clearance issues with it?

CF hoods for the st165 will likely never be an option. Unless we had a group of at least 10-20 solid people I doubt any company would invest the time and expense to make a mold for such a limited clientele. Mind you the hood would fit on the st162 so there is no saying that this could not happen

lots of great options here keep it going. if you guys want something lets start leaving a little siggy or something so we can somewhat keep track

Klue: CF driveshaft, st165 CF hood, st165 roll cage

dragstang86

ALLensTRAC":1tod80cl said:
Hey Bryan I am very interested in the DS too. I saw the price they quoted Corey but I was hoping we would have enough members to get a second GB going. I thought that if we had an established trustworthy member host it (i.e. you or Klue) and we could get more than 5 members to buy one it would bring the turnaround time down with ACPT. And about the cage I am just looking at something simple that can be welded in(I don't believe in bolt in cages). I thought that only a 4 point was needed up to 10.99 or slower Dragstang correct me if I'm wrong. Also I had read somewhere that a lot of the sanctioning bodies were going away from chromoly?

NHRA requires no roll bar until 11.49 or faster. From 10.00-11.49 if the car has unaltered OEM floors and firewall you must have at least a 5 point bar. A 5 point bar is nothing more than a 6 point bar without a passenger side door bar. Since that looks goofy I never see anybody that actually goes with a 5 point over a 6 point.

As far as chromoly goes, the drag racing world certainly isn't getting away from it. Actually to go 7.49 1/4 mile, or faster in NHRA you must have an all chromoly cage. A mild steel or DOM cage won't certify faster than 7.50 in NHRA or 7.00 in IHRA. For the purpose of the these cars the only difference between the two is the weight savings of the chromoly.

As for some road track sanctions, some require DOM once you get into the faster classes which is a seamless mild steel for the "bend but not break" characteristics of the DOM. Chromoly is lighter and stronger but it is also harder so it is more prone to crack than bend vs. mild steel/DOM. DOM/Mild Steel isn't as strong as chromoly but it is more apt to bend rather than crack.

Bottom line for the all trac stuff though since nobody is going to be going 7.49 or faster in one, chromoly will save you some weight over mild steel while mild steel will save you a few bucks.

dragstang86

klue":21bdrjcp said:
Hey guys,

Problem with chromoly cages is that they are not done right and when they are not they can be lethal. chromoly is one of those materials that I would say needs post weld heat treatment to stress relieve. If you haven't been doing it for 1000 years someone is probably going to end up putting to much heat into it. I dunno this is a touchy subject in racing right now and much debated, im not sure where its going to go as it is hard to regulate the processes beyond welding inspection. When I get the time I will go pick some brains in the chassis prep guys I know and see what I can gain

This reminded me of a key point I left out. Chromoly bars must be TIG welded which relates to the post above. This is because you can easily put too much heat to it MIG welding it but not the case TIG welding it. This is actually required by NHRA as well even though they don't actually check or certify the stuff until you go 9.99 or faster in which point you need a full cage. Anyway, if you only have the ability to MIG weld the bar, then go mild steel or DOM. We TIG weld everything regardless of Mild Steel or Chromoly.

ALLensTRAC

Hey Klue the DS has no clearance issues even under Pat's car with a 3.5 inch exhaust. Also I think Darthripley has one with aussie exhaust components and has zero issues. Personally I was planning for a DOM 4-6 point with the front bars squared and lowered to make getting in and out easier. I have called quite a few chassis shops inquiring if they have the specs for our cars(st185) to make the weld in cage and none of them have them i.e. ChassisEngineering.

ALLensTRAC: ACPT driveshaft,4-6 point weld in cage DOM,VIS CS hood
All 3 of these I am interested in.

klue

Thanks Allen, have not looked through the thread in a while

Klue: CF driveshaft, st165 CF hood, st165 roll cage
ALLensTRAC: ACPT driveshaft,4-6 point weld in cage DOM,VIS CS hood

Status
Not open for further replies.