Electric power steering conversion... this will be fun :)

MWP

bajallama":1tfvjthn said:
Finally got around to putting the Scion plastics and ignition switch in

Nice work, looks like it fits quite well.

Did you have to cut any of the factory plastic panel (bit that goes between the column and gauges) away?

bajallama

MWP":3rq881yu said:
bajallama":3rq881yu said:
Finally got around to putting the Scion plastics and ignition switch in

Nice work, looks like it fits quite well.

Did you have to cut any of the factory plastic panel (bit that goes between the column and gauges) away?

Nah, I just trimmed the scion column plastics to clear the factory panel. The column does sit a little lower than factory. I shoved it up as much as I could but it's fine. Once I run an steering wheel extension and a lower seat, the wheel should sit perfectly in front of me.

Almost 3k miles on the steering setup and still love it! It's still a little too light at speed and I tend to get a little too confident in the canyons because it's kinda hard to tell when I'm understeering due to the low feedback :p

MWP

Nice :)

A few days ago i realised i wasnt multiplying the speed value to the EPS by 100 like i should have been :p
Fixed, and now it feels much better.
Still a more tweaking to do though.

bajallama

MWP":1w0hxetm said:

A few days ago i realised i wasnt multiplying the speed value to the EPS by 100 like i should have been :p
Fixed, and now it feels much better.
Still a more tweaking to do though.

So I'm guessing you got the CANBus controller to work? I might have to hit you up for the correct packets when I get around to making mine.

One thing I noticed is that the wakeup for the power is time based. If I turn on the ignition and sit there for a couple seconds, it will turn on without me inputting a torque. I am guessing it waits for an RPM signal after a certain time, and if it doesn't get it, it will automatically turn on in limp so you can move the car around if it is broke down/out of gas.

dammitcam

MWP":29577vak said:
So is your blog up to date? Its still running in limp-home mode so far?
Megasquirt can't output CAN bus packets suitable to run the EPS without specific support being added to the MS firmware.

Its been a while since i update this thread... mine is all up and running & on the road.

Test fit:
eNpdjkEOgjAQRa9CZg-0tShOl8YYFiQkuCe1IFQrEIqJxnh3S5CFzmrem8zPlxjjy-IKodcKhMV1hJDK4WrDnRy8TCu3VEYr6eVHGkchI5T7hPk09vZZ7iWtHaUxVRkm6aHYMr4JLn09BXGEszYGhEbi0MUqqZpqYjrz2Nxvp-VOER7Tm2uyJQRm8_wzTpmu7grVDW01LFHx1_ZqBFEiCTj5HSbeH0kgQRE,.jpg

Just fits:
eNpdjtEKgjAUhl9l7F7dpsY8u4wILwTB7mUt09VS2QyK6N2bmBd1rs73Hc7PL4HDy0EMeNQKCwebFHAh7dVFW2lRqZVfGqOVRNWB8jRihCYBYQHlaFdWKO_dJI1pTlFe7OuMpXF4Gds5KAF81sZgoYF49LFKqq6ZmS48dffbcb1TwI_5zTfJCMGLef4Zr8zQDrUabN_YNYp_7agmLE5AwoT8DhPvD0dcQQ4,.jpg

Original column mount:
eNpdjtEKgjAUhl9l7F7dpsY6u4yQAkGwe1nLdLScTIUievcm5kWdq_N9h_PzS-DwGiAG3GuFxQCbBHAu3W2IdtKhQiu_1EYricoT5WnECE0CwgIWo31RotxO3ai7JjrkWUUo4-GxyOYcH3PVxmChgXhMASup2npmuvDYTvfzeqeAH_ObL7IlBC_m-We8MraxlbKuq90axb-2VyMWFyBhQn6HifcHwT5AUg,,.jpg

New column mount:
eNpdjssOgjAQRX-lmT1QyiM4XRpjXJCQ4J7UilCtlBRINMZ_twRZ6KzmnMncXIEZvgaMEHolgQ-Yxgi5sLch2ApLCiXdUmslBSmPYZYEjIaxR5nHIrIrSpKbqRtV1wSHfF9tWMr8a9_MOS7morQGrpA6TBCkkG09c7jw2E7303oPER7zmyuyoRQW8_wzTmnTmEoa29V2jcq-tpcj8DNSP6a_w_j7A_2XQLo,.jpg

Column fitted up and working.
EPS control box is mounted where the factory ECU normal sat.
eNpdjssOgjAQRX-lmb3QlkdgujTGuCAhwT2pFaGKlBRINMZ_twRZ6KzmnMncXIkJvgYMEHqtQAwYhwiZtLfB30pLcq3cUrVaSVIcWRL5nLJwQ_mGB2SXFyQzUzfqrvYP2b5MeZx6176ec1zMRbctCI3UYYSgpGqqmdnCYzPdT-udITzmN1ckpRQW8_wzTrWmNqUytqvsGpV8ba9GEGekXkh_h4v3BwHHQME,.jpg

Digging up bones here. I was curious if you had the photos and everything still for this project. I have an ST185 that I am going to try and convert to EPS. I would appreciate the help.

dammitcam

MWP":3kkpbmp5 said:
So is your blog up to date? Its still running in limp-home mode so far?
Megasquirt can't output CAN bus packets suitable to run the EPS without specific support being added to the MS firmware.

Its been a while since i update this thread... mine is all up and running & on the road.

Test fit:
eNpdjkEOgjAQRa9CZg-0tShOl8YYFiQkuCe1IFQrEIqJxnh3S5CFzmrem8zPlxjjy-IKodcKhMV1hJDK4WrDnRy8TCu3VEYr6eVHGkchI5T7hPk09vZZ7iWtHaUxVRkm6aHYMr4JLn09BXGEszYGhEbi0MUqqZpqYjrz2Nxvp-VOER7Tm2uyJQRm8_wzTpmu7grVDW01LFHx1_ZqBFEiCTj5HSbeH0kgQRE,.jpg

Just fits:
eNpdjtEKgjAUhl9l7F7dpsY8u4wILwTB7mUt09VS2QyK6N2bmBd1rs73Hc7PL4HDy0EMeNQKCwebFHAh7dVFW2lRqZVfGqOVRNWB8jRihCYBYQHlaFdWKO_dJI1pTlFe7OuMpXF4Gds5KAF81sZgoYF49LFKqq6ZmS48dffbcb1TwI_5zTfJCMGLef4Zr8zQDrUabN_YNYp_7agmLE5AwoT8DhPvD0dcQQ4,.jpg

Original column mount:
eNpdjtEKgjAUhl9l7F7dpsY6u4yQAkGwe1nLdLScTIUievcm5kWdq_N9h_PzS-DwGiAG3GuFxQCbBHAu3W2IdtKhQiu_1EYricoT5WnECE0CwgIWo31RotxO3ai7JjrkWUUo4-GxyOYcH3PVxmChgXhMASup2npmuvDYTvfzeqeAH_ObL7IlBC_m-We8MraxlbKuq90axb-2VyMWFyBhQn6HifcHwT5AUg,,.jpg

New column mount:
eNpdjssOgjAQRX-lmT1QyiM4XRpjXJCQ4J7UilCtlBRINMZ_twRZ6KzmnMncXIEZvgaMEHolgQ-Yxgi5sLch2ApLCiXdUmslBSmPYZYEjIaxR5nHIrIrSpKbqRtV1wSHfF9tWMr8a9_MOS7morQGrpA6TBCkkG09c7jw2E7303oPER7zmyuyoRQW8_wzTmnTmEoa29V2jcq-tpcj8DNSP6a_w_j7A_2XQLo,.jpg

Column fitted up and working.
EPS control box is mounted where the factory ECU normal sat.
eNpdjssOgjAQRX-lmb3QlkdgujTGuCAhwT2pFaGKlBRINMZ_twRZ6KzmnMncXIkJvgYMEHqtQAwYhwiZtLfB30pLcq3cUrVaSVIcWRL5nLJwQ_mGB2SXFyQzUzfqrvYP2b5MeZx6176ec1zMRbctCI3UYYSgpGqqmdnCYzPdT-udITzmN1ckpRQW8_wzTrWmNqUytqvsGpV8ba9GEGekXkh_h4v3BwHHQME,.jpg

Digging up bones here. I was curios if you had the photos and some info on this project. I have an ST185 I am trying to convert to EPS.