17x9" Sportmax 050 wheels ....

gtfour77

That would be very nice, but personally, I have to consider SCCA class rules. In street mod you can't modify the doors in any way. Flares are ok, but to do a full conversion like that would be a lot fo work and also would put me in a different class... Otherwise it looks great.. :wink:
Thinking of actually cutting about 5-inch long slits in the fenders(vertically and pushing the fender out and up...then fill in the gaps with fiberglass...That would be THE easiest and most cost effective way...maybe... Very strong and would serve the purpose...still not sure about the rear quarters...maybe the same thing...The openings for the wheels have to be larger too...really would love to lower the car further with the wider tires...

CMS-GT4

If gtc is your thing, I did this one a while ago.

Not perfect, but there are some cool elements to it.

gt4widebodyconcept7om9vo.jpg

Toxygene

Hmmm well I didn't mean to modify the doors too but if at least the front contours would stick out like CMS-GT4s design and the rear looks good to on that design as well. Something between his design and the IMSA 300 is what I was thinking.

But I'm not sure I understand how your vertical strips will work but I am thinking your cutting them to allow you to stretch out the fender.

d1alltrac

that p-chop looks badass...the hood is a little over the top but im sure you were going for something like that.

this thread has somewhat depressed me, just cause i know ill never fit any wheel that wide on my 165 without serious modification :(
i guess that leaves me with only one option....get a 185 to go with it :D

seriously though, id like to see how those wheels look on a 165, maybe ill try to p-chop it when i get home, but i completely suck at it so im sure itll look like crap :p

SBCelicaGT

CMS-GT4":1gulvc6n said:
If gtc is your thing, I did this one a while ago.

Not perfect, but there are some cool elements to it.

[.img]http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6871/gt4widebodyconcept7om9vo.jpg[/img]

Yikes! :shock:

gtfour77

I would not scrap the 17x9 idea just yet. Have you made any measurements yet? Clearance issues? You might just have to widen the fenders a little that's all. Even I have to do it unless my springs are stiff enough so the tire doesn't touch the fender when compressed. (550lb front and 450lb rear)

Also, was able to play with the new Camry Hub assembly and axle a little. This was I think 1995 Camry V6...axles seem identical to ours (165 and 185)
The hub seems like it would actually fit. The only major problem I saw was the caliper bracket mounting holes are further apart...and the our tie-rob knuckle (?) is longer therefore the steering response would be just a hair slower. (the tie rod would mount further from the hub) ANd the lower ball joint would have to be swapped for the 185 one. Other than that seems like the hub assembly would bolt right up.

Here are some pictures:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/speedycel ... .dir=/5cb5

CMS-GT4

d1alltrac":2z3b02rd said:
that p-chop looks badass...the hood is a little over the top but im sure you were going for something like that.

this thread has somewhat depressed me, just cause i know ill never fit any wheel that wide on my 165 without serious modification :(
i guess that leaves me with only one option....get a 185 to go with it :D

seriously though, id like to see how those wheels look on a 165, maybe ill try to p-chop it when i get home, but i completely suck at it so im sure itll look like crap :p

I did a widebody 165 around here somewhere. If I find the file I will post it up. I used a caddy cts-v race car as my "parts car."

CMS-GT4

Here is the 165.

Didn't put as much work into it as you can tell.

But it might give you some ideas.

BTW: I should be picking some late model supra rotors up this week to test on the rotor project.

165wbconcept1kt.jpg

CMS-GT4

Here is a before and after.

The flares would have to be cut from the stock fenders and simular flares placed in the exact location.

wbconfront9oy.jpg

Here is the garage cruise wb kit. They take the same approach.

59c811rh.jpg

GMan

> CMS-GT4
> Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:26 am
> If gtc is your thing, I did this one a while ago.
> Not perfect, but there are some cool elements to it.

Looks cool, agressive.
Funny, i see a lot of cars with vents letting Hot airout, right in front of a scoop.
Does not seem to efficient to me...

> Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:51 am
> Here is the 165.
> Didn't put as much work into it as you can tell.
> But it might give you some ideas.

Looks even better, just vents to vent the HOT air. :)
The ST165 was always a smoother looking car, if a bit dated.
I always said the Maytag look was timeless. ;-}

> BTW: I should be picking some late model supra rotors up this week to test on the rotor project.

Good luck ! I hope it works out. Always good to have more options !

Regards;

gts35551

sorry gtfour77, i had to get those same exact wheels all the way. when i saw the price on it for 17x 9's!, i was sold. whats better was that i didnt even know my dad could order them until now. but wow, it works. i'm running stock suspension with gr2's in front, n a rear whiteline swaybar, and it fits. i have the rear 1 inch wheel adapters, so i do think its essential for them to fit. on the way home, no rubbing or no issues. ill try n get more daylight pics later on, dont have enough space in the garage for a full side view.

dscf1097.jpg
dscf1098.jpg

dscf1101.jpg
dscf1105.jpg

dscf1107.jpg
dscf1110.jpg

dscf1114.jpg

dscf1116.jpg

CMS-GT4

Martin,

Did you keep the camry rotors? I would like to see how their dept and thickness compares to the supra rotors.

Did you setup your BBK yourself? What size rotors are you running? 2-peice? Send me some specs, and maybe we can figure outthis whole braking thing with the 5/144 conversion.

gts35551

CMS-GT4":wo7t1asl said:
What size tire did you go with? I look forward to the rest of your pics.

235 40 17, i wanted to get some more pics today, but i took my camera to work today without putting back the memory card

gtfour77

Nice wheels gts35551...lol Seriously, you really can't beat the price and they are not that heavy either...
What did you do on the front? Or did they fit ok without spacers?? The 235's should fit fine, I am running 275's and they stick out about 1/2 inch past the rim...so there is one more thing to worry about. The front spacers should be here tomorrow so I'll be taking some pictures...
Thank you for posting the pictures!!! Looks great! Keep us updated and take more pics...

CMS-GT4.....what is your first name????

And yes I have one rotor...I will take measurements for you... I am not doing the conversion for now. I ordered some nice spacers for the front (15mm H&R) so I'll stick with it for now. Just need to get a new bearing, but might end up ordering a whole new hub assy...I think the hub is shot...

gtfour77

Oh yeah the brakes....
I really went all custom...I have a picture album on yahoo...
photos.yahoo.com/gtfour77

Look for the brakes album... I used a corvette C5 13" rotors. (You have to redrill them for 5x100 or 5x114.3 in your case? )
Then just fabricate twocaliper brackets. I just got a new set of calipers.. Wilwood Superlites with a little smaller pistons for better brake pedal feel... the 1.75" pistons were great for higher speeds but didn't have the best feel at slower (autocross) speeds. Anyway, I'll be taking many pictures today or tomorrow once to spacers get here. The new brake setup will be done tonight... (the rotors are cheap vette 1-piece design...I might go with a nice slotted design, but these work great so far...)
It all comes down to how much you trust your fabricating skills and your tools. (when it comes down to this DIY home style engineering.) But you sure can't beat the $200 brake system that actually works 100%.... :wink:

gts35551

gtfour77":31dxlyey said:
What did you do on the front? Or did they fit ok without spacers?? The 235's should fit fine, I am running 275's and they stick out about 1/2 inch past the rim...so there is one more thing to worry about. The front spacers should be here tomorrow so I'll be taking some pictures...
Thank you for posting the pictures!!! Looks great! Keep us updated and take more pics...

The front is left alone, so no spacer up front. i was thinkin i would be needing a spacer for the front, but it ended up being needed in the rear. i was going to take out the rear wheel adapters to see how they sit, but they won't fit without them. luckly i already had them. after driving for some days now, i can notice the difference. compared to the previous 215's, its more stable with more grip, so more confidence in cornering. acceleration wise, the car still moves, but lost a little bit of its oomp. it has to work a tad more to get to speed, but not a night n day difference. the last few days, i just smile when i look at it cus it looks so cool. :D i wish i had a new paint job to match it, so either that or new shocks for the next money drainer.

dscf1118.jpg
dscf1119.jpg
dscf1120.jpg
dscf1121.jpg
dscf1122.jpg
dscf1123.jpg

CMS-GT4

Looks good.

Where did you get them, and for how much?

My hub conversion project might have some issues, so it looks like I am going back to getting these wheels too.

I think I am going to paint mine to match the ones I currently have.