Suspension options on a budget...

Larry Klassen

I have a '91, one strut is going and so I thought this is a good time to upgrade it a little. I don't want to go with anything too stiff, but something that handles significantly better than stock. I don't need high performance, as I don't race and really just want to be able to enjoy the drive - in corners, etc. I just want it to handle better, not like a Formula 1. Are there any after-market options from the big manufacturers that aren't too expensive, that would be a good option for me? Thanks for any advice. If anyone had something they want to sell for a reasonable price, I'd be interested.

By the way, I'm not a newbie, but for some reason I can't log on with my old account, so I had to create a new registration. Is this a result of the new format for the website? Did everyone have to re-register?

Zeus

whiteline offers some good upgrades... i personally dont like their spring schock combo but everything else is awesome... and even that will do wonders for the car...

i think they sell the club pack orsomething like that, that has all the bushings camber bolts and rear sway bar

if thats not enough for you then you could do springs and shocks later

illGT4

Whiteline isn't that stiff. But good stuff overall. Nice kit. But I wouldn't call it a cheap option. But cheap is in the eye of the wallet-holder.

KYB GR-2 shocks are $39 a piece at TireRack.com

Going to be like a factory replacement.

If you want to add more, get some whiteline strut tower bars (front and rear) and a adj. or non adj. rear sway from whiteline also.

Dave Hall is selling his new and slightly used tower bars. He can be contacted at (toylexmods@hotmail.com) .

Showkemp

Hi! I'm looking for shocks too. I have Eibach springs (-30mm). I think I've seen somewhere a site with part numbers, and there were shocks too, but now I dont know where it was. Anybody? Does Billstein, Koni or KYB is makes a shocks with regulation for ST185CS?

Thanks.

Zeus

Stubble":s6imwcmf said:
What don't you like about the Whiteline kit? Too stiff? Not stiff enough? $?

yeah not stiff enough for my liking... i bottom out if the suspension is loaded and i go over another bump...

if the springs were stiffer and the rear was as low as the front (dont know why they set it up like that) then i would have no complaints with the kit at all...

so really everything that they sell is awesome but for me the springs shocks are a weak point... however they do custom wind springs... so you could get them wind you a stiffer pair... but you could also probably get that done locally for cheaper

illGT4

Showkemp":pbjlnbdb said:
Hi! I'm looking for shocks too. I have Eibach springs (-30mm). I think I've seen somewhere a site with part numbers, and there were shocks too, but now I dont know where it was. Anybody? Does Billstein, Koni or KYB is makes a shocks with regulation for ST185CS?

Thanks.

Keep in mind that the rear strut housing is a 1 pc. unit. If you need to fit an insert, you'll have to cut and weld it back together. This is the one thing I don't like about our cars. :(

Showkemp

O.k. so what You guys doing when You need to replace a rear shocks? I found that Kayaba makes a front shocks for our cars, but there is nothing about the inserts for rear... Does anybody have the expirence with any inserts on rear?

Greg Forbes

Hey, I had this on the old board, but still don't have any pictures.

I have replacement shocks from KYB that are full struts for the rear, not just inserts.

They are KYB Climb Gear and were ~$100 a piece.

They are popular for GT-Four's around here as an entry-level shock.

Showkemp

Does any other company except Whiteline, produce a rear inserts or struts to ST185???

PS.And of course except stock KYB.

turbo4wd

Larry Klassen":2sakd87v said:
I have a '91, one strut is going and so I thought this is a good time to upgrade it a little. I don't want to go with anything too stiff, but something that handles significantly better than stock. I don't need high performance, as I don't race and really just want to be able to enjoy the drive - in corners, etc. I just want it to handle better, not like a Formula 1. Are there any after-market options from the big manufacturers that aren't too expensive, that would be a good option for me? Thanks for any advice. If anyone had something they want to sell for a reasonable price, I'd be interested.

By the way, I'm not a newbie, but for some reason I can't log on with my old account, so I had to create a new registration. Is this a result of the new format for the website? Did everyone have to re-register?

Larry, the single most effective (cost and performance wise) upgrade to your suspension would be the Whiteline adjustable rear sway bar. Even with a stock strut/spring setup you should feel a massive difference. If you were going to only buy one piece for your suspension, this would be it.. I don't think anyone here would argue.

The only bad part is the extreme wait for anything from Whiteline these days..

oh yeah.. and everyone had to re-register when the new board came up.. :cry:

XoDuzZ

sooo. has anyone come to a realitively stiff (stiffer than stock) alternative for the guy on the budget? cause i'd love to know too, i've got to start mapping out my spending!

935motorsports

For the ST185, the KYB GR-2 are actually quite strong. They are much stronger then the GR-2 for ST165. I was suprised at that.

GR-2 for front and a new set of OEM shocks for the rear would really wake the car up. That's about $400 total.

Add in a rear swaybar and it will feel like a new amazing car. It is not required to upgrade the springs just yet.

silverarrow

Hey Rob, are GR2's seals struts? I know it may be a stupid question since it probably won't be because you have to move the stock springs over to the gr2 struts right?

935motorsports

Regarding the GR-2, I'm referring to front strut inserts. They are easy to replace and any shop can do it. In fact if you took your car into a shop that is probably what they would put on.